Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel wobble

Hi All,

Getting a wobble through the steering wheel about 60-65mph seems mostly to be felt through the steering so think its up front somewhere rather than the UJ's on the prop.

Just had new track rod ends, wheels balanced and aligned.

Any suggestions what to check?

Cheers,

Adam

Originally posted by reynolds_p1 View Post
    Hi All,

Getting a wobble through the steering wheel about 60-65mph seems mostly to be felt through the steering so think its up front somewhere rather than the UJ's on the prop.

Just had new track rod ends, wheels balanced and aligned.

Any suggestions what to check?

Cheers,

Adam
    Standard wheels or aftermarket?

Comment

how were your wheels balanced?

Lug centric balance sorted my wobble as opposed to 'normal' hub centric balance.

Comment

Standard wheels with recent good quality tyres.

Whats a lug centric balance? AFAIK they were just balanced normally, which i presume is hub centric?

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Normal balancing will be fine.
          It's possible that one of the weights has come off whilst driving.

Comment

Pretty sure its not the wheel balancing. Had them done yesterday along with track rod ends (old one were shot) and wobble is still there exactly same as before.

Comment

If wobble goes after 65 & no wobble before 60 then it's the balancing.
              If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by reynolds_p1 View Post
                Pretty sure its not the wheel balancing. Had them done yesterday along with track rod ends (old one were shot) and wobble is still there exactly same as before.

Read post #5 again.

Comment

Bushwacka I know you know your stuff bigtime but this is my wheel balance story.

Front Wheels balanced Hub centric lessened the wobble but still there, 1000kms later had all 4 lug balanced and it was wobble free afterwards.

The only way it made no difference is if the wobble came from the rears but I don't think so.
                  Last edited by Ploddit; 2 October 2011, 17:52.

Comment

I got a full set of Camac 255/75 15 for free. had them put on the truck and balanced. I'm not sure if they are very low quality but I now have 175g and 165g of weights stuck to the front of my alloys. It seem a bit excessive, has anyone had the same problem ?
                    Attached Files
                    All the best

Comment

Original wheels with Cooper tyres - loads too.

Comment

Originally posted by frontman View Post
                        I got a full set of Camac 255/75 15 for free. had them put on the truck and balanced. I'm not sure if they are very low quality but I now have 175g and 165g of weights stuck to the front of my alloys. It seem a bit excessive, has anyone had the same problem ?
                        I had that problem, turned out to be the rim.
                        If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
                          I had that problem, turned out to be the rim.
                          Is it possible to have the wheels balanced (without tyres) ???
                          All the best

Comment

Originally posted by frontman View Post
                            Is it possible to have the wheels balanced (without tyres) ???
                            Why? You can't drive on a wheel without a tire, so what are you looking to accomplish? You could spin it on the machine and look for runout/bends if that is what you're asking.
                            '96 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-G - RIP

Comment

Originally posted by IanB2 View Post
                              Why? You can't drive on a wheel without a tire, so what are you looking to accomplish? You could spin it on the machine and look for runout/bends if that is what you're asking.
                              I suppose I could (in theory) find out if it was the wheel or the tyre that was out of balance(or both) and ( in theory) see if it was possible to offset some of the in-balance by rotating the tyre on the wheel (in theory).

I'm waiting for the steering recall decision so once the tracking has been set up I may look into the balancing again.
                              All the best

Comment

Working...
                              X