Lack of Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of Drive

Advise wanted regards 1995 3.0ltr auto SSRX Surf. After towing caravan back to compound(15-20miles), it failed to move off whilst left to momentarily tick-over. Could only get it to drive by switching off, back on and then it would drive for 50yds before losing drive again, engine/electrics all functioned fine. Finally gave up and got towed home - would appreciate comments of anyone with experience of, or suggestions as to what may be going down. Gearbox level fine, nothing at anytime under vehicle. - Cheers.

My guess is that it's not quite aligned with the selector so you are not fully engaging it in drive. Did you try locking down in another gear, 1st or 2nd? Does it happen in 4 wheel drive? could eliminate a rear diff it it drives in 4 wheel drive.

Comment

I hope both the transmission and transfercase were in neutral when you got towed.

Did you check the fluid level with the engine running?

Welcome on board by the way, where 'bouts in south Wales are you?

Comment

Seems to be turning into a locals only thread here :-) I'm in Pontypridd.

Comment

Did you have any strange noises before it failed? It just occurs to me it could be the flex plate broken. I have had two fail on mine (one when I bought it and the second hand replacement about 18 months later) Though I am pretty sure it wouldn't start once it had broken off completely.

Comment

ATF either low or knackered.....possibly even the paper clutches burnt out....did you get any nasty smells when it went?

Comment

Lack of drive.

Cheers to all for the responses - I'm in the cwmbran area, no smells at all whilst driving or when we stopped, my other half did think it sounded 'different' as she walked back to get in after stopping to close gate, I never heard anything abnormal whilst sat inside/drving. We tried 1,2 park, reverse etc with no joy, did not try 4 wheel drive when stopped. Checked oil level (engine warm, but off)whilst waiting for pick-up truck, level was fine. Taken home on bed of transporter.
              Spoke with garage whom says it is knackered, but hasen't put a spanner on it as yet, Told to drop cover and oil to see what bits, if any come out. Q- How important is it to change gearbox filtar? as I'll be honest I haven't as I didn't realise there was one!

Comment

It's a gauze strainer rather than a filter. I have seen the strainer from a few 100,000 mile + Surf transmissions and they have been clean, so I doubt it's that.

You need to have the engine running when check the fluid level, as it needs to be circulating through the torque converter as well as the transmission.
                If the level looked OK on the dipstick with the engine off, then chances are it needs topping up. However, if the fluid level stays the same with the engine running or not, then the transmission fluid pump is gubbed, which will mean a replacement transmission is the best/easiest/cheapest option.

p.s. I'm near Newbridge by the way, do you store your caravan in Trinant by any chance?

Comment

has the 4 wheel drive shift leaver been knocked in to neutral?
                  SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Lack of drive.

Well what can I say - Garage dropped the oil as asked, no significant metal/bits in it, refilled with new and hey presto! - it is going forwards and backwards again just like it is meant to!. I've driven on 3 occasions after work, totalling about 40m, fast/slow, stop/start, ignition on/off etc and she's still doing the business. Seems ever so slightly more of a noticable engagment when engaging the gears, but drives lovely. Fingers, toes all crossed right now, as I'll put some more miles on it to get more confidence. Hopefully I've had a lucky break.
                    Bushwacker - sorry, van is stored more local to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X