Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting screwed by the dealer

Hiya folks,

First post on here, wishing that i could be more positive!!!

Bought a surf (2.4Tdi) ten weeks ago. Had it 5 weeks, and the head gasket went. The dealer i bought it from then took 5 weeks to repair it - they got a replacement engine for it; and i finally got it back on thursday. Over the weekend, the engine has been overheating whenever I put my foot down a lot; so they had it back in today to check it over. They now say it's the thermostat (which i would have thought would be something to sort anyway????) and that it won't be ready until they get the parts.

Could your obvious knowledge of the cars enlighten me as to whether these are normal problems and timescales for stuff to be fixed? Or are they messing me about.

I love my surf, right up to the point it broke down on me; and a sucession of naff 4x4 courstey cars have proved that I picked the right car, just maybe from the wrong place.

Thanks in advance.
    Pete
    Pete Davies
    www.superiorsound.co.uk

"..this one goes to eleven"
    Nigel Tuffnell, Spinal Tap

Originally posted by welshpete
    Hiya folks,

Bought a surf (2.4Tdi) ten weeks ago. Had it 5 weeks, and the head gasket went. The dealer i bought it from then took 5 weeks to repair it - they got a replacement engine for it; and i finally got it back on thursday. Over the weekend, the engine has been overheating whenever I put my foot down a lot; so they had it back in today to check it over. They now say it's the thermostat (which i would have thought would be something to sort anyway????) and that it won't be ready until they get the parts.

Could your obvious knowledge of the cars enlighten me as to whether these are normal problems and timescales for stuff to be fixed? Or are they messing me about.

I love my surf, right up to the point it broke down on me; and a sucession of naff 4x4 courstey cars have proved that I picked the right car, just maybe from the wrong place.

Thanks in advance.
    Pete
    Pete sorry to hear of your problems mate, alot of dealers will mess you around but then again the good dealers are few. The 2.4's cylinder head is the weak point so head gasket is not likely to have gone. is it a surf engine they have put back in??? is the surf paid for on finance???
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Hiya folks,

Thanks in advance.
      Pete
      Totally to long a time to repair it, most places can supply a brand new head next day delivery.
      Me and Andy (Lucky) stripped mine down in four hours and rebuilt it in seven.
      I would make sure first off they fitted a NEW head not second hand, stitched, if fitted with rear heater make sure both are set to hot when refilling system. Only refill via the rad cap NOT the expansion bottle, make sure tube in/to the expansion is not split. There is enough water in the expansion to cover the bottom of the tube.
      They can be a bit of a pig to refill, so check often the coolant level for a few days after filling to make sure no airlocks have moved.
      Yes there seems to be some sort of problem on the 2.4 heads, although by the poll on here it seems to have affected 20% of 2.4 surfs, of those voted.
      THis could be c**p servicing in Japan, the fact it has possibly stood for months atthe dock waiting to be shipped over etc etc. But once replaced with good servicing it should last you a lifetime.
      Could be the stat or the rad cap or just an air lock that has moved since they filled it up.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

Yes

Hi in short "YES" you are being messed about, l think the goods for sale act state,s you must be able to use it for the purpose it was bought for or something like that. Try getting your money back and go else where or got to your local C.A.B. and get expert advise.
        Live Life To The Full

Comment

TRADING STANDARDS are another source of info regarding your rights. if you have bought your surf on finance the finance company own the surf till youve paid them back, so they will fight your corner as its in their best interest
          (\__/)
          (")_(")

Comment

Hi folks,

Thanks for the info; when faced with trading standards, miraculously the new thermostat arrived and my surf was fixed within an hour or two of posting on here!!!

Took it for a long run last night, and it seems to be going ok.....at last.

Thanks again for the info; I shall be around a lot more now my surf is on the road! Beware of a Blue over silver SSR-X full of Music gear!!!!

Cheers
            Pete
            Pete Davies
            www.superiorsound.co.uk

Comment

Hi folks,

Thanks for the info; when faced with trading standards, miraculously the new thermostat arrived and my surf was fixed within an hour or two of posting on here!!!

Took it for a long run last night, and it seems to be going ok.....at last.

Thanks again for the info; I shall be around a lot more now my surf is on the road! Beware of a Blue over silver SSR-X full of Music gear!!!!

Cheers
              Pete
              You bought the right colour then!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                You bought the right colour then!!!
                He did

[SIZE=7][COLOR=YellowGreen][SIZE=5][FONT=Comic Sans MS]The difference between the men and the boys .................... the price of their toys ![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Yep BLUE surfs are the fastest
                  (\__/)
                  (")_(")

Comment

nope, Green ones are!

carefull with those pasties and cream teas marky!

Comment

Damn you guys!!! when are you gonna realise that black is best and fastest.

Just ask Linda and if you dont believe Linda just follow the rules below:-

1) If in doubt ask Linda which colour is best and fastest she is always right!!!

2) If you disagree! please re-read rule 1
                      I always work better wet .

Its why I became a plumber!!!

Comment

naa i agree with the other guys. blue is deff the fastest by far ithink we should hav a vote on this
                        lets go get dirty...

Comment

Update.

Driving up the M5 yesterday....with the "new engine" in.
                          Engine temp starts fluctuating; engine check light comes on; big plume of grey smoke. One dead engine....

Time to get my money back i think, though it will be spent on another surf....

Should I name and shame the dealer?

Pete
                          Pete Davies
                          www.superiorsound.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Mike66
                            Damn you guys!!! when are you gonna realise that black is best and fastest.

Just ask Linda and if you dont believe Linda just follow the rules below:-

1) If in doubt ask Linda which colour is best and fastest she is always right!!!

2) If you disagree! please re-read rule 1

Nah anyone can go fast in a straight line, wanna race round the lanes and round a bouts then see whos fast. Motorways and straight roads are for look how fast my car goes in a straight line and brake like f**k when a bend comes up sunday drivers. Bring on the bends, then add some rain and lets see how fast you can go then, a**e end out lets have some fun.

My 4x4
                            My choice
                            Back off

Comment

Update.

Driving up the M5 yesterday....with the "new engine" in.
                              Engine temp starts fluctuating; engine check light comes on; big plume of grey smoke. One dead engine....

Time to get my money back i think, though it will be spent on another surf....

Should I name and shame the dealer?

Pete

Yes do name and shame in the dealers section. Please keep it construvctive & concise to your experiences only with no direct flamming of individuals.
                              Last edited by Koi; 5 August 2004, 13:01.

My 4x4
                              My choice
                              Back off

Comment

Working...
                              X