yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

@TonyN - Shock absorbers knocking on mounts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @TonyN - Shock absorbers knocking on mounts!

Just bought some monroe shocks for the Gen 2 and fitted them. It seems like the tops of the casings are ever so slightly tapping onto the mounts which seems odd as aren't they supposed to be direct replacements? Is there anything special I was supposed to do with these?

they are currently fitted like follows:

locking nut cap
    fixing nut
    bush washer
    bush
    MOUNT
    bush
    bushwasher
    top of shock

when it hit a medium bump i can hear a 'tinging' noise that appears to be the outer casing hitting the vertical part of the chassis mount.These are the 2 inch lift shocks and the torsion bars are already twisted up for approx 2 inch lift. Have I done something wrong?
    ======
    Just gotta finish doing the next mod...

Mine +2" monroes have done the very same ever since I've had them fitted, its like a tinny ping, or a tinging noise.. not all the time but on the majority of medium bumps and on every bigger bumps

I've ordered some poly bushes to try instead of the rubber ones, as after 8 months of use my rubber ones have almost self destructed..

I'll let you know if it helps once I've sorted them..

And mine are fitted the same way as you described (tony fitted them too)

Comment

Hmm, interesting.

I'll have a look at some on the next truck I get in that has them fitted.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Yes, very odd. It's almost as if the casing on the Monroes is 2 mm too big. Ver odd. I might try changing out the bushes too, I think I have some lying about but I am hoping the the full compression position of the shocks isn't reached if i put larger bushes on....

It's possibly the most annoying tinging sounds as it sounds like something is seriously loose under the truck. I did wonder at first if it was just that they weren't tight enough and at full compression the bushes were also compressing and it was the washer rattling about, or maybe even if it was the same thing happening with the anti roll bar bushes. Both are pretty tight though. Also wondered if the shock was too long at full compression and was pushing up onto the bushes. The associated 'clock' of hitting the end stops now seems more harsh than it was as if it's not actually the end stops hitting but the shock saying 'no more compression'.

Would really appreciate your input when you get a chance Tony.

Think I might also try putting some ratchet straps on and compressing the suspension fully if I can manage it and see what's what......
        ======

Comment

If you have only wound the torsion bars, you don't need +2" dampers. Winding the torsion bars only moves the suspension through part of its range, it's not really a 2" suspension lift.

Didn't someone have a similar problem that turned out to be worn suspension arm bushes?

EDIT: Apologies, I dropped in here by accident, I didn't notice it was a @ thread.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

[QUOTE=Albannach;

EDIT: Apologies, I dropped in here by accident, I didn't notice it was a @ thread.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post

EDIT: Apologies, I dropped in here by accident, I didn't notice it was a @ thread.

Come in, pull up a seat, all input welcome!

I think the point of these threads is to make sure the @xxx person reads it, not that no one else is allowed!!

Comment

Just to digress slightly.

I look at these @* threads as a private, on-line, conversation, so I tend not to even read them, let alone post in them...

If 2 people in a bar, or busy room, were having a private conversation it would be both rude and ignorant to eavesdrop, worse again to butt in on it; I, personally, think it's the same thing on here.

Comment

Fair point RE lift and the torsion bars - anyone know if the 2" lift monroes are actually too long a full compression to allow the suspension to hit the stops? Is this another one for Tony :P

BTW, to do a 'proper' 2" lift on the IFS what is actually required?
                  ======

Comment

Originally posted by andy_enuff View Post
                    BTW, to do a 'proper' 2" lift on the IFS what is actually required?
                    Balljoint spacers. They let the top wishbone stay where it is and push the lower one down.

Comment

mine is fitted with BJ spacers and I still get the tinging noise...

Comment

Fair play - I think I will have to do something like put slightly bigger bushes on the shocks..... in the meantime - does anyone know where i can get front differential drop spacers?

I've found balljoint spacers on Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/toyota-hil...item3a69d1222f

but I think I need diff drop spacers to to save wear on the CV joints - can't afford free wheeling hubs quite yet.
                        ======

Comment

I have diff spacer kits. PM me

Comment

Nev pointed me in the direction of these

http://www.suspension-bushes.co.uk/i...oducts_id=7231

1 kit contains 4 bushes, 2 for each side..

the bushes are slightly stepped, the smaller section fits into the mount in the chassis which centralises up the shock tops..

I fitted a set yesterday and forgot to take pics, but will try to get pictures today when we do my maates truck as I got him a set too..

Comment

Working...
                            X