Just asking (for fun)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just asking (for fun)...

Dimensionally, are Surf/4runner leaf and coil sprung rear axles the same?

Is an 'Automatic' LSPV really needed?

Would a retrospectively fitted transmission brake pass a UK MOT?

Do any of you have triangulated rear suspension on a Surf?

I'm just off a 12 hour nightshift weekend, so I've googled the shit out of the above questions. I need proper, real world, answers. Not Wiki or googled links.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
    Dimensionally, are Surf/4runner leaf and coil sprung rear axles the same?

Is an 'Automatic' LSPV really needed?

Would a retrospectively fitted transmission brake pass a UK MOT?

Do any of you have triangulated rear suspension on a Surf?

I'm just off a 12 hour nightshift weekend, so I've googled the shit out of the above questions. I need proper, real world, answers. Not Wiki or googled links.
    Leaf spring axles are slightly narrower, that why pickup wheel have more offset than Surf ones.

Nope, local place says a manual adjustable one is ok, maybe not even needed, they don't test them, as long as the rear read less than the front on the brake rollers. But you won't get the actual 'proportional' adjustment as the the rear lfts under heavy braking, its just a fixed percentage of brake effort compared to the fronts.

I kinda did on my pickup, I had 3/4 elip rear leaves, so springs not firmly located at back, more like flexable radius arms, then a V shaped anti-tramp/top link bar from the top of the diff to chassis rails. It worked well.
    Do you want to delete the panhard rod? You could move either end of the upper radius arms inward and lengthen them to provide lateral stability. But fuel tank may be in the way of to much flex.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
      Do you want to delete the panhard rod? You could move either end of the upper radius arms inward and lengthen them to provide lateral stability. But fuel tank may be in the way of to much flex.

I'm really just thinking out loud, I was just wondering if anyone here had done the triangulation thing on something that normally has a Panhard Rod.

I quite fancy a winter/summer/winter/summer/winter project. Still toying with the idea of a pick up, but have a notion for an old 40 now.

What about the Transmission Brake, would that be MOT legal?
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
        but have a notion for an old 40 now.
        Most excellent.
        What about the Transmission Brake, would that be MOT legal?
        Some Land Rovers have them, so I guess it must be ok.

They give amazing holding power, actually a good idea when you start getting to 35" tyres and up and the drums and umbrella handle isn't that great.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
        X