Tightened the steering box and now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tightened the steering box and now...

1)Ihave a lot less free play in the steering - it was like driving the A Team Van left right left right, and very unnerving on motorways when changing direction.
    2)the steering is twitchy and I have to continually adjust the steering wheel after every undulation in the road. I'm thinking bump steer?

So is my tracking out, and only noticeable now as I can actually tell what the wheels are doing?
    or could it be down to (the original) steering damper?

Tyre wear had been pretty even but now seeing more wear on outer edges both sides.

No play in the steering idler, so am assuming its a tracking issue rather than worn bits?

any thoughts?
    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
    www.johnthebuilder.info

You have over tightened the adjuster mate, it`s difficult to explain but the simplest I can make it is, if you make a tiny adjustment on the wheel do you now have to recenter the steering yourself instead it centering itself? i.e. at motorway speeds you adjust the steering to the left to compensate for a slight corner but then have to manually adjust again as the road straightens instead of it following the road.

It`s easy done, although it is nice to have good precise play free steering unfortunately the steering box system is not from that era and it needs the free play to work properly, I think the figures are something in the region of 2 inches of side to side movement at the steering wheel without acting on the steering is acceptable. If you have yours to the point of no play then it is definitely over adjusted and you need to back it off before it causes damage to the steering box. Undo the locknut and back the screw out about half a turn, give the box a clout with a hammer and tighten the locknut back up while counter holding the center screw, take it for a run and see how well the steering straightens itself back up after minor adjustments at the wheel, repeat until it comes straight by itself and your there

Hope this helps

John

Comment

Wow, think you're spot on mate, will loosen up a little and report back. Thx.
      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

The steering box should be adjusted when on full lock either left or right not when steering is central .
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

as vagrant said because most of the wear will be in the straight ahead position and you will over adjust
          JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Working...
          X