Greasing my Nipples......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greasing my Nipples......

I need to buy angled grease nipples for greasing my ball joints, i presume they'll be metric.

What thread are they please?
    Now it's time to play!

Why not invest in one of these:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/110-Piece-Grea...item3cb5c6411f

I think they're M6x1 but not sure

Comment

For an item as small as a grease nipple it's likely i can find one at my local motor factors or dealership maybe, and they shouldn't be very expensive at that.

Also your link to the eBay listing has died.
      Now it's time to play!

Comment

e bay link was for a big box of different types of nipple. It was only about £10 and covered all the bases.

Comment

I would only want a box of nipples if they were still attached to women!!
          Now it's time to play!

Comment

Errrm, have you got a face lifted 2nd gen or a 3rd gen?
            Only reason I ask is that my 3rd gen doesn't have any greasing points for the ball joints, their sealed for life units.
            Last edited by Shalershasker; 21 July 2011, 21:08.
            Neal

Comment

Good point!!

I have a 3rd Gen 3.0L SSR-G. Will have a look in the morning.

The owners manual i have here is for a 4Runner, not a Surf.

Does that make a huge difference?

I'm going to have a go at the grease points on the propshaft UJ's as i have a very odd single judder/thud just as i'm stopped almost, or as i take my foot off the brake to set off. It feels like it's drivetrain related.

I wondered if the slip joint was a bit dry.
              Now it's time to play!

Comment

Greasing the UJ's etc should be considered as a routine maintenance job really, I tend to do mine once every couple of months depending on use, it may help with your problem if they haven't been done for a while but you indicate that it happens on stopping/starting so have you checked your brakes, also has the ATF been changed at all?
                Last edited by Shalershasker; 22 July 2011, 07:48.
                Neal

Comment

I've no idea it it's been done. What service paperwork this has with it doesn't indicate if transmission or diff fluids/grease has been done.

I haven't had the truck long however, the more i read on this forum the more stuff i know has to be done.

Once i get to know the vehicle a bit better i can just get on with it as a matter of routine, and eventually i will end up doing all fluids and greasing every service.

I have though woken up this morning to find my left knee is in severe pain when i bend it so cannot get down to crawl underneath it just now. I need to find a garage today that will let me get it up on their ramps for a few mins while i do some greasing.
                  Now it's time to play!

Comment

Update:

Didn't see any grease nipples on top or bottom ball joints front or rear so must be sealed. 1 less job to do come service time.

All nipples greased except one because the hexagon around the nipple is rounded so previous person who did it didn't have enough sense to replace it. Have now found a replacement nipple and will pop it on in the morning.

Noticed both front and rear slip joints expanding when filling so was careful not to go ott with the grease. No vibrations after all that so job almost done i think. Front prop turned fine with front wheels on the ground so no issues there either.

Transmission line thud now gone!!

No play in any of the UJ's so very lucky with this truck so far.

Discovered i have a limited slip rear diff with both wheels turning in the same direction when one wheel is turned. Bonus!!
                    Now it's time to play!

Comment

No grease nipples on 3rd gen balljoints. A step backwards in my view.
                      Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
                        No grease nipples on 3rd gen balljoints. A step backwards in my view.
                        To a degree I would have to agree with you there, having said that, I don't know if mine are the originals or not, if they are and given the age of the truck and the fact that at the moment there are still no issues with them, I don't think I can complain.
                        Neal

Comment

Working...
                        X