Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Front Brake Pads and Fluid

Hi,

The Mot is due next week and the front pads need replacing so Im trying to do this today and am draining a small amount of brake fluid off into a jar as suggested, to do this job.

Can anyone suggest the easiest way of changing the brake fluid completely? I have seen quite a bit of contradictory information on the net.
    If anyone has a link to a step by step guide or something I would really appreciate it. Its a 3.0L SSRG 1996 Gen 3.

Thankyou

Cara-croft
    You've heard of Lara Croft, she didn't own a SURF!

Brake fluid etc

Hi,
    Try this link, it's not for Surf's specifically, but most generic parts all work the same way. Try their home page, click on Car Maintenance section and most serviceable items are covered. Hope this helps.
    http://www.ehow.com/replace-brake-fluid/

Comment

Hi, amazingly despite the frequent rain, all went to plan with the brake pads!! So just the brake fluid change to worry about now.

Thanks for the link Will.

The link says to drain the reservoir of the master cylinder with a Turkey Baster, as I havent got one, can I just use the Brake Bleeding Kit on the drivers front wheel or is this not possible?

Also do you guys just let the brake fluid run out onto the drive when opening the bleed screws? Or do you need 4 containers to catch it?

Cara

Comment

Just bleed till you empty the reservoir then fill it up with fresh stuff & bleed all four wheels "one at a time" in sequence starting from the furthest wheel from the reservoir first, then second furthest & so on until you see nice clean fluid flowing "with no air bubbles".

TOP TIP: make sure you keep topping up the reservoir as you bleed or you will end up pumping air through & you will have to start all over again.

Now you were kidding about letting fluid flow all over the drive wern't you.

Buy a bleed hose & container kit from your local motor factors, only a couple of quid.
        Last edited by si tate; 7 July 2011, 20:19.
        If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

I empty most of the master Cylinder with a large syringe bought from a chemist to save running it all through.

as you do each wheel you'll need a pipe and an old jam jar.

The easy bleed kits work ok for a fluid change but still need the old method to bleed it

Comment

Thanks Si and Ploddit.

The Link given said to open all four bleed screws at the same time which is what I was querying - how to contain four lots of brake fluid all at once??
            As I only have one bleed kit and it didnt mention even using one of these until the fluid was all changed and you want to check for air bubbles, I was a little confused.

So thankyou for your advice and helping clear this up.

Watch this space - will be sorting this tomorrow morning!!

Cara

Comment

Nooooooooo.

1. Empty master cylinder with syringe leaving a bit in the bottom, fill with fresh fluid.

2. starting with the furthest wheel from master cylinder (rear ns) put on pipe and jam jar open bleed screw about 1-2 turns pump brake pedal hold brake pedal depressed close valve. Open screw pump pedal once, close screw while pedal is depressed.

3. Continue until new fluid is evident in pipe (if clear) or jar.

4. Close screw go to wheel next furthest from master cylinder (rear o/s).

5. Front n/s then front o/s

6. If you are having any problems getting hard at the rear bleed from the load sensing valve too as it can get an air lock.

Attention: As the master cylinder only uses 30% of its travel most the time if you pump all the way to the bottom repeatedly you risk knackering the seal so little pumps.

Looked at the link - yes it would be quicker to flush like that but what a pain.

Also I see you've got a bleed kit - So you don't have to the open screw depress pedal close screw release pedal bit until you see clean fluid in your eazy bleed tube.

In my experience the kits are great for changing fluid but aren't enough to do the final bleed.
              Last edited by Ploddit; 8 July 2011, 06:52.

Comment

Thanks Pat, for your detailed step by step post, it is a great help!!!

Originally posted by Ploddit View Post

6. If you are having any problems getting hard at the rear bleed from the load sensing valve too as it can get an air lock.
                This bit took my mind right off the brakes for a moment, though!!!

Back to the job in hand, Im off to get a syringe now and then will be sorting this fluid change, I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Cara
                Last edited by cara-croft; 8 July 2011, 09:14.

Comment

Originally posted by cara-croft View Post
                  Thanks Pat, for your detailed step by step post, it is a great help!!!

This bit took my mind right off the brakes for a moment, though!!!

Back to the job in hand, Im off to get a syringe now and then will be sorting this fluid change, I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Cara
                  Ooo errr missus!
                  Lol!

Comment

Now Now Curly this post is about Brake Fluids!!!

Well to update you all - managed to change the brake fluid following the advice on here - took me ages had probs with BUBBLES!!! I never want to see an Aero thats for sure!!!! But with patience and perseverance and quite a bit more Brake fluid than I thought, I got it sorted by this afternoon!!!

Definitely needed a drink by the end of it!!!

So now hope the MOT guy likes my work on Monday, I will put on my heels and denim mini ----- do you think that will help???!!!

Thanks so much to Pat and Si and I dont want to hear any more talk of nipples, hard areas or "!!!!! bleeding!!!!" this or that !!! LOL!!!

Cara

Comment

Originally posted by cara-croft View Post
                      Now Now Curly this post is about Brake Fluids!!!

Well to update you all - managed to change the brake fluid following the advice on here - took me ages had probs with BUBBLES!!! I never want to see an Aero thats for sure!!!! But with patience and perseverance and quite a bit more Brake fluid than I thought, I got it sorted by this afternoon!!!

Definitely needed a drink by the end of it!!!

So now hope the MOT guy likes my work on Monday, I will put on my heels and denim mini ----- do you think that will help???!!!

Thanks so much to Pat and Si and I dont want to hear any more talk of nipples, hard areas or "!!!!! bleeding!!!!" this or that !!! LOL!!!

Cara
                      I'm sure your hard work & effort will be enough for a pass but the mini & high heels sound pretty damn good.
                      If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Working...
                      X