Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of power HELP

Hi, New to forum.
    Wife has a 92 2.4 SSRG and loves it. BUT, now runs like a pig. Lots of Diesel smoke on start up, seems very down on power (green turbo light comes on) does not like inclines.....
    Had new glow plugs, injectors, fuel filter and flush. Checked turbo (very little play) have a few split hoses that I have tried to fix (duck tape and glue) but none of this seems to have made a difference. Fuel comsumption is getting worse.
    Any one in Uckfield Crowborough area that knows Surfs?
    Need to sort as wife loves it but now getting fed up.

Originally posted by maureen surf View Post
    Hi, New to forum.
    Wife has a 92 2.4 SSRG and loves it. BUT, now runs like a pig. Lots of Diesel smoke on start up, seems very down on power (green turbo light comes on) does not like inclines.....
    Had new glow plugs, injectors, fuel filter and flush. Checked turbo (very little play) have a few split hoses that I have tried to fix (duck tape and glue) but none of this seems to have made a difference. Fuel comsumption is getting worse.
    Any one in Uckfield Crowborough area that knows Surfs?
    Need to sort as wife loves it but now getting fed up.
    Hi mate you will need a bit more info than i can give but try these for idea's
    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...ght=fault+code
    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=62
    the people to speak to are Tonyn, Bushwhacker, Nifty nev and the search facility although slow and doesn't always find what you want quickly, is useful and worth a scout around HTH
    I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'd get those hoses replaced first. Duct tape and glue, believe it or not, has limitations and some of the pressures involved will still deform a pipe regardless of how much you use.

Black smoke is usually unburnt diesel IIRC but you say you have had the plugs and injectors done.

Blue smoke is usually oil in the turbo. Rebuild turbo with new seals / new turbo.

White smoke is usually gasket related.

Red smoke means you are in an aerobatic display.
      Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Originally posted by J i m s t e r View Post
        Black smoke is usually unburnt diesel .

White smoke is usually gasket related.
        Unless you happen to be responsible for electing a new pope...

Comment

I'm very close to you but only just getting to grips with surf mechanics. TonyN is your man...give him a shout on the General page..
          .... Which was nice.

Comment

Lack of power

Thanks for replies....
            If it was red smoke, I would be quite chuffed.....lol

I am trying to eliminate causes without spending loads of money. Removed all air hoses and cleaned/repaired, was a little oil in the breather hoses and the metal thingy on top of the engine that is connected to turbo by hoses, all cleaned out and refitted, turbo has very little play and does suck. Have blanked of egr valve in the small rubber pipe (ball bearing). I would descibe it as performing like a non turbo, even though the green turbo light comes on and it gives a whistle although not as loud as it used too.... No oil in water or water in oil, does not overheat. When first stated, lots of diesel smoke and runs rough till warm, but even when warm will slow a lot on a hill, one steep hill on the downs, it struggles to get up, doing about 20mph if lucky.
            Would be nice to compare with another

Comment

Originally posted by flounderbout View Post
              Unless you happen to be responsible for electing a new pope...
              True. And I am sure the Surf is cheaper to run than the Popemobile. Two birds with one stone, there, Vatican.

Mind you, with all that Nazi gold*, money is the last of their worries.

* Allegedly.
              Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Thanks for replies....
                If it was red smoke, I would be quite chuffed.....lol

I am trying to eliminate causes without spending loads of money. Removed all air hoses and cleaned/repaired, was a little oil in the breather hoses and the metal thingy on top of the engine that is connected to turbo by hoses, all cleaned out and refitted, turbo has very little play and does suck. Have blanked of egr valve in the small rubber pipe (ball bearing). I would descibe it as performing like a non turbo, even though the green turbo light comes on and it gives a whistle although not as loud as it used too.... No oil in water or water in oil, does not overheat. When first stated, lots of diesel smoke and runs rough till warm, but even when warm will slow a lot on a hill, one steep hill on the downs, it struggles to get up, doing about 20mph if lucky.
                Would be nice to compare with another
                I suppose someone could have played with the Spill control valve might be worth searching for threads about 2.4 tuning mate
                I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

it struggles to get up, doing about 20mph if lucky.
                  It'll be the short rubber pipe in the green circle in the photo below, thats come off. .......
                  Attached Files

Comment

Lack of power

Thanks, I will have a look in the morning, if its stopped raining.

Comment

Lack of power

Checked the pipe Bushwacker suggested, its still attached but that whole area is very oily, there is a pipe of similar size beneath it that is very oily. Any other suggestions............please.
                      And by the way....it started raining hard just as I popped the bonnet..

Comment

Could be to boost pressure sensor. (circled in yellow)
                        Pull the pipe off of it, bend it in half and wrap some tape or a cable tie around it to keep it sealed.
                        Go for a test drive and if the symptoms are the same then the sensor is faulty.

Is everything else connected as in the photo?

Comment

I don't know the 2.4 well but I had the same problem on my 3.0 when the turbo pressure sensor pipe had come off.

Comment

Lack of power

I have not had a chance to try the sensor yet, but where could I find a diagram of the hoses to make sure all are connected and to the correct place. Would be good if someone local to me who knows there Surf's could have a look.

Comment

when was the air filter last changed ?
                              SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X