Cam belt, what am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam belt, what am I doing wrong?

Changing the belt this weekend so I thought I'd make a start by taking the cover off & seeing what's what.
    All looks fairly streight forward so I took my 19mm socket to the cam sprocket to turn the belt "clockwise" so the marks line up but it's mega tight, don't want to force anything so I thought I'd better ask.

Oh, it is in neutral on both the normal shifter & the 4wd shifter.

Anyone shed a little light please.

Thanks Si.
    If its not broke don't fix it.

Compression.
    Diesels have a much higher cylinder compression than petrol engines.
    Remove the glowplugs so that compression can escape and the crank can be turned.

Comment

Large Bolt

Its the Crankshaft Bolt you need to turn. It is hard to turn, but you can remove the glow plugs to reduce compression. If you do not want to remove plugs, wait 20 seconds every time you encounter resistance. Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
        Compression.
        Diesels have a much higher cylinder compression than petrol engines.
        Remove the glowplugs so that compression can escape and the crank can be turned.
        Errr - mines only a 2nd gen but I can turn it completely over by hand is that bad?
        “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Originally posted by will.b View Post
          Its the Crankshaft Bolt you need to turn. It is hard to turn, but you can remove the glow plugs to reduce compression. If you do not want to remove plugs, wait 20 seconds every time you encounter resistance. Hope this helps

!!!!! Good call Will, I missed that bit. Don't ever try and turn the engine over via the cam sprocket bolt, it'll will break the cam/sprocket!!!!!

Comment

Thanks fella's, easy when you know how I guess.
            Right that's it for tonight, be ready for the next installment tomorrow night.

Comment

Couldn't be bothered waiting so I went on & finished it, all is running well but the belt is slightly off centre from the cam pulley to where the old belt sat, is this ok as the crank pulley is determining how the belt sits?

Comment

Sorry to bump this thread but i won't sleep tonight worrying if it's ok.

Comment

The belts is so wide its hard to run off center, the pump pully has guides each side.

Maybe the new belt is slightly thinner than the old one so you can see marks on the pully.

Its so easy to get the cover off on a 3rd Gen, take it off watch it running to see if its running true.

Only thing that could cause it is the idler bearing is loose, but would have to be really baggy and I've never seen one that bad.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                    The belts is so wide its hard to run off center, the pump pully has guides each side.

Maybe the new belt is slightly thinner than the old one so you can see marks on the pully.

Its so easy to get the cover off on a 3rd Gen, take it off watch it running to see if its running true.

Only thing that could cause it is the idler bearing is loose, but would have to be really baggy and I've never seen one that bad.
                    Belt is the same size & running true, new idler & tensioner fitted.
                    It just sits further back & is very close to the rear casting.
                    Last edited by si tate; 19 May 2011, 23:35.

Comment

Working...
                    X