Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gen rotating air vent installation

Hi guys,

I would like to install a rotating air vent at the back of my 3rd gen roof. I often carry dogs on my travels and along with window tinting, might help to make the boot more comfortable for them.

Anyway, to do so I have to cut a hole about 14cm in diameter and I was wondering how thick the roof actually is. The maximum thickness for the vent I have in mind (low profile to fit underneath the roof rack) will fit onto a maximum roof thickness of 2.1cm (21mm).

Has anybody got any idea or installed such a setup? Your advice/help much appreciated as I am wary of drilling a hole and finding out I can't fit the vent.

Thanks.
    96 3rd gen 3.0TD SSRX

most roof an body panel skins are 0.9 - 1.5mm shouldn really be any thicker unless you end up cutting into the roof frame as well

hope that helps

Comment

Yep, its a single skin. Take the roof lining off to make sure you aren't going to cut through a strengthener. The roof spars are around 12" apart.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Thanks. Will have a go at taking the lining off.
        96 3rd gen 3.0TD SSRX

Comment

Just had a look at the lining after reading the many threads related to fixing roof racks...etc entailing taking off the roof lining. On the 3rd gen, there are 6 plastic pop-up fixings. Is this where the roof supports are located? Would rather drill the hole without taking the lining out as it seems a bit of a faff. Anybody has any experience of this. It appears there are three transversal roof supports along the factory fitted roof channels. The plastic gromits would appear to be fixed to each of them in pairs. Is this right? Would there be any wiring?

If anybody who has had a look at 3rd gen roofs could shed some light, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
          96 3rd gen 3.0TD SSRX

Comment

Working...
          X