Banging , speaking noise in front suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ferretmanabu
    How much grease exactly needs to be put on? A good handful or sparingly? does it need to be done often?
    Just a blob , its just stops the metal on metal rubing noise. some say copper slip is better as it lasts longer. Just replace it when you here the noise again. Usualy after a off road session !
    http://www.darksidesolutions.co.uk - Web Solutions

Comment

theres no substitute for keeping your beast well greased *awaits comments* ot only will it keep things running smooth, but will also help it keep running longer!

my fourtrak seemed to be reasonable, but my mate came round the house on day in the fire brigade maintenance van, i soon spotted the grease gun and after 15mins had given the nipples a good packing! drove 10x better, so much smoother, less "free" in the steering, quieter, much easier.. keep on top of it, every 3 months, or more if you play dirty!
      VW Taro (hilux single cab PU) - 31" rubber, H/D springs and shackles, LSD, 4 pot front callipers, 2.4 N/A Flymo engine..

Comment

mines started doing this now

can someone just clear up for me which bit i need to grease thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry
          mines started doing this now

can someone just clear up for me which bit i need to grease thanks
          oh kerry i would love to answer this question as about 10 answers spring to mind but none about cars
          just look at the pics on the first page this should show you
          at the end of the day................ it gets dark

Comment

Originally posted by herman
            Ah! My thanks to you all. I have been worying about my clanking steering bits for weeks wondering whether I can afford to have it looked at. Now I don't need to. As you suggested I have greased my end stops and now all is quiet.

Won't there be a problem when it comes to MOT time, though? Surely I'll need proper rubber stops to pass the test.

No Just keep them well greased
            www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

They're plastic caps not rubber!

Comment

Ball joints

Can anyone send me pictures or tech data of how to change top and bottom ball joints on my 94 ssr-g. need a little guidance as I ve never done this before on a 4x4, just got the parts from millners excellent service.

Comment

confused

Originally posted by SparX
                  Thanks for that , off to go out and buy some grease ( apparantly not aloud to use the babies vasaline ! )

I assume the green circle on my picture is the bit your talking about , What about the Yellow and Red arrows ? The bit that the red arrow is pointing to is loose on the drivers side !! is this serious ?

Thanks again

SparX
                  please correct me if i have missed something but.............
                  on the pic i can see the YELLOW circle and YELLOW arrow are the two parts of the steering 'stops' which bang together on full lock and can be silenced by adding some grease.
                  the GREEN circle shows the grease n*pple for the ball joints ? (it fills the rubber boot shown just above the large 'castle' nut in the pic).
                  as for the RED arrow, well i cant see any of those. am i looking at the wrong picture ?
                  BTW. had mine MOT'd today and nothing was said about the grease on the 'steering stops'. in fact the mechanic commented on how nice it was to see a well greased vehicle.
                  Last edited by toy231; 8 June 2006, 00:15.
                  Paul

Comment

I've got the full lock creak f alarm too. I've been told I need to get the caps from Toyota. About £2.50 each (4 off) + VAT of course.
                    I was told that these caps just push on, and are brittle, so should be warmed through in a cup of hot water before pressing them on.
                    Anyway
                    Having read the 'put grease on em' suggestions....
                    I was wondering if I should try a bit of glue gun on the heads instead. That stuff is pretty good. It would stick on well, it is a plastic substance when cool/set and is easy to replace.

Any comments/thoughts??

Cheers.... Rob.
                    Red to Red, Black to Black, Blue to bits!

Comment

Just whap a bit of grease or copper ease on, and refresh
                      periodically. Hot melt would be no use whatsoever. As for
                      replacing the nylon caps, I wouldn't bother. Mine are still
                      somewhat intact and I was getting the creaks from the
                      bump stops until I copper eased it up.

Comment

clangers

yer mine does this as well

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                          Its the steering stops, garrenteed! (sp?)

Vasaline or grease, both does the job (yellow circle) Like Simon said, both side of the lower wishbone, both sides of the car...........

Hey, newbie here. Cant seem to see that pic...
                          Probably because it's a bit old. Can anyone re-post it, not quite sure what I'm looking for.

Ta.

Comment

Here:
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by yorta2 View Post
                              Here:

Ta.

Comment

bump stop noise

Originally posted by SparX View Post
                                OK , I think I have discovered what it is , but not really sure , its difficult to see ! ....

But if on full lock either way , and you bounce the front. i.e kerb etc etc
                                There is a real metal on metal clang and creak. A mate had a quick look today , and said it might be the bump stops , as they looked loose and we managed to get them to hit the other bit of axel type thing , by both of us ( both 15 stone ) bouncing on the bull bar.

1) Is this how it should be ? doesnt seem like much travel before it hits.

2) Should i get it changed / fixed whatever before my first outing to the Devils pit ( oct 12th ? )

If you need pics of what im blabbering on about , let me know.

Thanks again

SparX
                                put a thumb full of grease on each bump stop, works every time. toyota supplied nylon caps but they dont last 2 mins

Comment

Working...
                                X