e locker diff axles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e locker diff axles

hi ,guys can anyone tell me if its possible to fit back axle and front diff from a late model surf or 4 runner with e lockers to an 91 ln 130 and wire the diff locks to swiches on the dash ? has anyone on here done this ? pics ?
    thanks kev

The front axles will be different in a number of ways.

Comment

thanks for your reply ,why i m asking is I have a 2.4 2nd gen ln130 manual and I was in a breakers yard a while ago and they have a 96 (i think ) 3rd gen 3l auto scrapped it has 2h-4h 4hl 4ll on the short gear lever meaning I assume it has front and rear e lockers . I think I would be able to get the axle and diff and whatever other bits I need for small money off them ,Iknow you said the axles are different but would it be possible to do ( i dont mind a bit of altering if needed ) or would I be better forget about this and buy arb air lockers ?
      thanks kev

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
        The front axles will be different in a number of ways.
        and the rear axles!

The rear DIFF will fit, the front won't, 3rd Gen front diffs are high pinion (in effect the other up. Lockers are the same, but gears are cut the other way round.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

......and it hasn't even got lockers, just read your last post.

You need to read up on multi mode 4wd on 3rd gens......nothing to do with axle lockers.

Comment

so what you re saying is that the later model surf with 2h-4h 4hl 4ll gear lever does not have locking diffs ? i thought 4ll would mean 4wd low locked diff .does the 4 runner have e locked diffs ?

Comment

ok, to save you any work. Most 3rd Gens have multi-mode 4wd.

They are 2WD (2H) AWD (4H) 4WD (4HL) and 4WD low range (4LL)

they have a diff in the transfer case, so you can use AWD on the road, (like a Disco or other AWD cars) but with a diff in the t/case, if you get stuck you need to lock the diff to get true 4WD like a 2nd Gen in 4H or 4L.

so the diff lock isn't really anything spectatular, without it you won't get fixed drive to both axles and any AWD 4x4 must have a diff lock in the t/case to work offroad, remind the LR guys this next time they look smug about diff locks.

This is also called Full Time 4WD, ie AWD on the road. 2nd Gens like yours are Part time 4WD, so only 2WD on the road.

Comment

thanks for the info lads , after a bit of research i can now see that multi mode 4wd is not what i thought it was , and not what i was looking for so i wont be going down that road ! thanks again for pointing me in the right direction ,im guessing it will be a more expensive option at some stage such as arb air lockers !

Comment

Working...
                X