Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bouncy front on surf

Hi guys,

Just bought a 93 surf, black with full bodykit. Passed it's mot okay. Problem is that the front seems bouncy and when lights are on, I,m dazzling the tops of the trees then back to the road again. Are the surfs fitted with adjustable suspension. If not, am I right thinking that the shockers have had it? Seems odd that it sailed through it's MOt if the shocks are gone. really keen garage as well that did the mot. Also have hard clonking noises at full lock. Would appreciate any advice.

Cheers Jamie

Originally posted by yungjamie
    Hi guys,

Just bought a 93 surf, black with full bodykit. Passed it's mot okay. Problem is that the front seems bouncy and when lights are on, I,m dazzling the tops of the trees then back to the road again. Are the surfs fitted with adjustable suspension. If not, am I right thinking that the shockers have had it? Seems odd that it sailed through it's MOt if the shocks are gone. really keen garage as well that did the mot. Also have hard clonking noises at full lock. Would appreciate any advice.

Cheers Jamie
    Some Surfs have adjustable suspension - mine does. There is a 2 position switch on the right hand side of the dash (bottom part of it) that has a picture of a shocker on it and hard / norm.

If the lights are dazzling birds and low flying planes, it sound like the rear end has gone saggy on it, will need new springs to cure this. They are about £100 the pair or less and pretty easy to change if you have a coil spring compressor.

Cheers

Comment

bouncy front end.

It does have adjustable suspension then andy as it has the switch. (fancy missing that) The birds can now fly in piece. Thanks mate.

Jamie

Comment

It does have adjustable suspension then andy as it has the switch. (fancy missing that) The birds can now fly in piece. Thanks mate.

Jamie
        the adjustable shocks are only on the back though.
        [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

adjustable shocks are all round on the SURF
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
            adjustable shocks are all round on the SURF
            Have to agree with Marky, mine are adjustable all round as well.

Cheers

Comment

Standard springs but 20% stronger are available for the 2nd gen Surf from Milners for £40 pair + VAT. Got mine at Beaulieu for £32+VAT. Fitted quite easily using spring compressors and back now about 1.5in higher than before and much harder. Should make towing my van easier as the towball was dropping about 3in before.
              Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by stara
                the adjustable shocks are only on the back though.
                someone musta swapped yours out, every surf I've seen has 4 adjustable shocks from the factory.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                  someone musta swapped yours out, every surf I've seen has 4 adjustable shocks from the factory.

Someone had one of my front adjusters away! (Didnt notice until out of warranty)I found one tiewrapped up out of the way and disconnected, but the other is missing. No big deal, It seems to suit the characteristics of the surf on the present front setting and the rears adjust ok!!
                  www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

well, well, no wonder mine feels weird in 'hard' mode.
                    [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

bouncy front

Tried putting the hard mode on the switch for the suspension but it does'nt seem to make any difference to the ride. Do I have to physically adjust the front and rear shocks, if so how do I go about doing that.

Cheers,

Jamie.

Comment

Tried putting the hard mode on the switch for the suspension but it does'nt seem to make any difference to the ride. Do I have to physically adjust the front and rear shocks, if so how do I go about doing that.

Cheers,

Jamie.
                        No the switch does it all, check the top of each shock to see if there is a wire going to them. It may be they have already been replaced with after market ones.
                        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                        My choice
                        Back off

Comment

bouncy front end on surf

Tried putting the car in hard mode, does'nt seem to make any difference from soft mode. It has the wires going to the top of the shockers (4) Should it make any noise at the shockers when changing modes because it does'nt make any noise. Could it be fuses have shot it and where are they? sorry to be so thick but I'm trying to do it myself as I'm a poor plumber!

Comment

You should hear the Relay click when you switch to different mode
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                            (")_(")

Comment

bouncy front on surf

Cant hear no relay switch clicking. Could it be the relay switch at fault and if so where is it. Does the hard mode stiffen the suspension up when it is working properly as I'm undecided what to do suspension wise. I did want to try and keep it original if poss.

Cheers

Jamie.

Comment

Working...
                              X