X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collecting mine next week - few questions

I went to see the truck yesterday.

Its a black 1996 Gen 2 3.0 manual. SSR-X

It looks OK - not the cleanest example but everything works (ac, windows, mirrors) the motor sounds lovely with no smoke and the cooling system/head looks healthy (no overflow, rad full to the top with Ok coolant).
    All belts and fluids were changed 12000 whatevers ago, tyres are good

But a few questions....

1. it has mph on the speedo, but I ask is the milometer in km's or miles on these?

2. The heater air direction will not send air up to the windscreen does anyone know if it's the servo on the fan body or the matrix which is the guilty party or both?
    http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_199...JPQT_8712.html

3. The tailgate window doesn't work from the dash switch so time to check the wires by the rear bumper.

4. The drivers seat is too soft but as I am in France I will look for a front passenger seat from a 4 runner and swap the foam if the covering isn't the same. If it's the seperate type.
    http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_199...QT_7151.2.html

5. I'll have to fit some LHD headlamps again from a 4 runner.

6. Once I've checked it all out more thoroughly I'll do a full service/grease up with a big coolant flush, new rad cap, thermostat and nice Toyota coolant.

7. It has a very slight left right movement/wobble on the steering wheel, possibly a bent wheel but I'll investigate more later.
    Last edited by Ploddit; 1 March 2011, 08:58.

Originally posted by Ploddit View Post
    I went to see the truck yesterday.

Its a black 1996 Gen 2 3.0 manual. SSR-X

It looks OK - not the cleanest example but everything works (ac, windows, mirrors) the motor sounds lovely with no smoke and the cooling system/head looks healthy (no overflow, rad full to the top with Ok coolant).
    All belts and fluids were changed 12000 whatevers ago, tyres are good

But a few questions....

1. it has mph on the speedo, but I ask is the milometer in km's or miles on these?
    When imported, they're in KMH, but its normal for them to be converted to MPH if brought in to the UK - I'm guessing yours came in that way

2. The heater air direction will not send air up to the windscreen does anyone know if it's the servo on the fan body or the matrix which is the guilty party or both?
    http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_199...JPQT_8712.html
    There's a rather complex system of flaps and levers under the centre dash. It's common for them to get a bit sticky. It's possible to set it to blow at the window by hand, and then leave it there if you dont fancy ripping the dash apart.

3. The tailgate window doesn't work from the dash switch so time to check the wires by the rear bumper.
    Another common problem. I believe it can also be the interlock to make sure the window is open before you open the tailgate.

7. It has a very slight left right movement/wobble on the steering wheel, possibly a bent wheel but I'll investigate more later.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

1996 Gen 2?

Comment

1. Speedo, I ask because the PO was under the impression the milometer was in kms and I've seen stick on mph predominate stickers on fleabay. Yes it is a Brit import.

2. I must repair it it's the way I am and in the heater unit there are two servo's (it's the push button type - no lever). I will procure the two servos and test when its open, first I'll check the switch contacts ofc.

3. Thx I'll test that before checking the loom, just a few guys seem to have cut wires where it bends everytime you open the tailgate. It works fine from the key so that made me think loom.

Thanks for the help.

PS yes May 1996 on the V5 possible it hung round unsold whilst all the japs snapped up the Gen 3's....

Comment

Sounds like this is a 3rd gen, however, the switch on my 2nd gen did not work when i got it. After looking on here i found it was most likely a dirty switch.

After inspection thats exactly what it was. Remove switch. Remove internals, Remove grease from contacts. Now works

Comment

Well here it is:

It had a big service with timing belt 12months /12000km ago. All underneath looks OK, bit rusty but rubbers and gaitors are sound.

But the day after a picked it up click click goes the starter - parts on order from Toyota....

So my list is...

0. Changer starter contacts and plunger
            1. Full service with coolant change and flush (rear heater is hot)
            2. Grease up
            3. Rear Window service (screw donut, new runners, check wires) thanks for info here!
            4. Mend no demister on heater issue (all info here)
            5. Electric aerial dead.... to be investigated.

After that I'll start by a full clean and polish, and mend the various little broken plastic by neanderthals that have been before me.

I like it lots to drive (reminds me of my old HJ62 cruiser), except the light rear end might even get some 205/80 -16 wheels and tyres to make it slide less.
            Last edited by Ploddit; 10 March 2011, 16:28.

Comment

94/95 gen 2.
              SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Frustating being too scared to drive it because of the starter clicks, of course it starts fine at home.

Happy to note I've found an owners manual here (not exactly the same model but near enough):

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/downloads.htm

The full Sigma alarm manual, now to pray no ones put in a keypad code:

http://abacuscaralarms.co.uk/

Although I had to pay £5 to access.

Finally the JVC site have just the installation manual for the stereo. But I did find the JVC US site has our surfs on for speaker size and depth (4runner).

http://www.mobiletoys.com/partners/j.../FitGuide.aspx

Also after two days in one place no oil leaks!

EDIT: Matt thx cleaned the switch now it works...sort off, just open up the back change the runners and some grease it'll be perfect.
                Last edited by Ploddit; 11 March 2011, 13:02.

Comment

Working...
                X