Mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mileage

Hi guys, is it possible to chip a 2nd gen 4runner to get better mileage? The turbo kicks in pretty early in 5th and it seems pretty pointless. It would be nice if theres was a way to nock the turbo back a thousand revs or so then i can sit at 70 without the turbo. Is there an ecu chip for this?

Any better air filter replacements that will also help my fuel save cause? Im a student and i use the truck as a band wagon and surf/snowboard monkey, it would be nice to get a bit more beans for my money instead of buying something different!

Thoughts? I have a manual 2nd gen 4runner with the 2wd/4wd option. And yes i leave it in 2wd.

Also, i heard a few whispers about an 'overdrive' option on some 4runners. Do the manuals have any form of auto overdrive or is that only available on the auto transmission's?

Thanks guys.

Ben.
    Ben Bowers

O/D is just 4th gear on an Auto.

Fit a boost gauge, then its easy to tell how much welly you're giving it, and back off the throttle a little when when ever possible to keep the boost down and less fuel will be pumped in.

Turning the turbo off will just mean less efficent running, which will mean worse MPG as intake air volumns are matched to fuel delivery.

Make sure the truck is well serviced, road bias tyres at the correct pressure and it'll be as good as it gets.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Yeah i have hybrid tyres, not to aggressive and i keep them at 35 psi. I have a turbo light on my clock which i try to keep out of but not a full pressure gage, hence knowing that i have to stay in the turbo at 70mph.

So if it's possible to chip the jeep so 5th gear turbo pull is a little later than usual (3,000 revs rather than 2,000,) would that screw my fuel to air intake ratio? If so, would fitting a bigger air filter with an extra air feed pipe (maybe even a snorkel?) help the lack of turbo pressure?
      Ben Bowers

Comment

Got any chip shops near you?

I get my fuel from them, and sometimes free lunch!

Check out the veg oil and wvo threads on here, loads of great advice.

good luck.

Comment

I had a look into converting and sticking a tank in the boot, but then my ball's started to ache so i didn't bother. I'll take a look about the forum. How much does the veg oil trick effect performance and can you switch from fuel to veg regularly or is the first tank of oil a definitive decision for life?
          Ben Bowers

Comment

I use 60% filtered waste oil from a couple of chip shops that has been settled. for a couple of weeks to 40% derv at the moment. Starts and idles just fine, smells like a chip shop though. Others use 90% oil to 10% petrol plus a few other things. Use the search function and chase up a few threads, I was also put off by the faff until I read how well the surfs take to it!

Comment

Fit a droop snoot.

(For the older petrolheads on here.)

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                Fit a droop snoot.

(For the older petrolheads on here.)
                Most excellent, I always wanted one of those.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

So where exactly cod you plaice the chip on a 4runner KZ-T engine?

The best advice is to filter them out, and put them in a sandwich

Cheap fuel and a free meal.

Comment

Working...
                  X