No announcement yet.

Nasty steering probs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK Thanx people, shop opens in 10 mins i`ll let yano how it goes , assuming i don`t hit anything on the way

Comment

Topped it up and its considerably better tho the fluid is still airated, i`ll check it again in a while, it still catches on something occasionally but nothing like that heart rending, my steerings not working feeling, pump is still whining tho but on the up side the back is so much bigger than a second gen, dog cage goes in with room to spare i only hope they can deal with the height increse better than me
      Thanx again people

Comment

It'll take a while to get all the air out and for it to settle down, longer than you think. Spend some time turning the steering from full lock to full lock and check the level every now and then.
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

This method works for me after swapping engines......

1. Jack the front so both front wheels are just off the ground.
          2. Remove cap from P/S reservoir.
          3. Turn steering wheel lock to lock about 30 times. (engine off)
          4. Leave steering on full lock. (left or right it doesn't matter)
          5. Top up fluid to 10mm below the top and leave for half an hour.
          6. Check level later to see if it has dropped, top up as above.
          7. Repeat step 3.
          8. Check level again.
          9. Start engine and give the steering a few turns to make sure the fluid doesn't spurt out. If it does then suck a little out. I use a length of clear tube or syringe.

Comment

Put almost a half pint of fluid in upto now.
            I`ve just been out in it, Its better no doubt about that but there`s a definite point where it sticks about a third of a turn on the steering wheel and i get a thud when i turn harder then it moves freely. The noise seems to come from about a foot down the colum but thats only a guess.
            Its not right thats for sure, whatever extra weight the mods add to the steering surely it should be a smooth operation.
            I`ll try the fluid thing when i get to work tomorrow, i`ve got nothing that`ll lift those front wheels off the ground

Comment

At a guess I'd say it's rubbing where the spacer is fitted to the steering shaft.

Comment

As long as its not how it is normally when you`ve got a setup like i`ve just bought i can deal with it.
                It doesn`t roll on corners like i expected and the noise off the tyres reminds me of riding a trail bike with big knobbly s on
                Its without doubt a deathtrap as long as its a deathtrap thats fixable without taking out a second mortgage i dont care but it does raise the point that i`ve got a completely unroadworthy car off the dealer, it might of been ok for the first ten miles but its not now.
                Surely some responsibility lies with him.
                Think i`ll be phoning him tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by schrodingers-cat View Post
                  Surely some responsibility lies with him.
                  Think i`ll be phoning him tomorrow
                  Your rights when buying from a car dealer
                  http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/bef.../dealer#named2
                  When buying from a dealer, under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) a car must be:

* Of satisfactory quality. It must meet the standard a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, bearing in mind the way it was described, how much it cost, the make, the age, the history, the mileage, the intended usage of the car and any other relevant circumstances. Amongst other things, this covers the fitness, appearance and finish of the car, its safety and its durability. The car must be free from defects, except when they were pointed out to you by the seller before you agreed to buy it or where you have inspected the car and that inspection ought to have uncovered the car defects. Even where a car appears to have a minor defect, it may still be of unsatisfactory quality if that defect could lead to extensive damage or render the car dangerous to drive.

Also:
                  - It is not sufficient that a car is merely roadworthy and safe.
                  - The dealer may be liable for faults that were present at the time of sale, even though they may only become apparent later on.
                  - Dealers are not liable for fair wear and tear, where the car broke down through normal use. Nor are they liable for your misuse or accidental damage
                  * As described. This covers all statements made about the car, whether in writing, in a conversation over the phone or in the showroom, in a newspaper, website, email or text, or in documentation. If the advert states "air conditioning and CD player" then the car should come with these features and they should be working.
                  * Reasonably fit for any normal purpose. It should get you from A to B with the appropriate degree of comfort, ease of handling and reliability that a reasonable person would expect.

Reasonably fit for any other purpose you make known to the dealer. For example, if you require a vehicle for towing a caravan.

These rights are not affected by any mechanical breakdown insurance (which is often sold by dealers if the manufacturer's warranty has run out), guarantee or warranty giving additional protection.

Some dealers may use disclaimers such as ' Sold as Seen', 'Trade sale Only' or 'No Refund' to try and limit your rights. However, these rights cannot be taken away or restricted by a dealer.

Comment

Well i`ve been onto the man it came off, was gonna leave it till tomorrow untill i discovered i`ve got no side, tail or dash lights and i`ve got to go to work in 9 hours and i just had to vent, in his defence he`s being very helpful, says he put a fuse in cos the same happened to him but thats trivial compared to the steering. I keep trying to kid myself that its not that bad but it is. If you`ve ever had the pleasure of riding a kawasaki 900 Z1 ( the 1970s version) at over 100mph you`ll know know what i mean when i say driving this is scarier than that
                    Told him i`d been on here and what advice i`ve been given and he said try what i`ve been told and if that doesn`t work get back too him. Seems genuine enough

Comment

The Dillema

Took it into work to use their jack but once its jacked up the wheels dont turn freely so i couldn`t tell, then i took it to my local mechanic, same applied to him but he took it out for a drive and came back looking like he`d seen a ghost, said "thats a death trap it shouldn`t be on the road" advised me to take it back and get a refund but when i told him i didn`t want to untill i knew what the problem was he told me to take it to the local 4x4 garage so i did but he`s booked up till next week, his advice was take it back and tell the guy i got it off to get it fixed.
                      While all this is going on the guy i got it off phones and tells me he`ll give me my cash back
                      The dillema is. I like it and the alternative is to get another one and get done to that whats been done to this one but probably not as excessive but saying that i`d be looking at a small fortune.
                      Think i`m going to take it to west coast off road centre to get an opinion unless anyone out there has got something similar. I`d take a guess that i`m going to be looking for some 3rd gen steering parts in the very near future

Comment

Its sounding more and more like it just got to much lift, the CV's jam if you go to high, and thats why you can't turn the wheels when its jacked up.

This could also bugger up the steering.

I'd love to see this truck!! Can't you get it delivered to me?

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I`ll merge the two posts as they got kinda mixed up and i cant be typing all that again
                          http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...d=1#post697162

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                            Its sounding more and more like it just got to much lift, the CV's jam if you go to high, and thats why you can't turn the wheels when its jacked up.

This could also bugger up the steering.

I'd love to see this truck!! Can't you get it delivered to me?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-HILUX-S...item41567b72c9

Comment

The squeal you were getting from the aircon pump is probably either too little gas in the system or the aircon drive belt is loose and the adjuster needs tightening, which probably also means you've been driving it with the aircon switched on.
                              Mike G

Comment

LOL, Ta, but I ment I want to see it in the flesh and try it out!

Can someone buy it and send it down here?
                                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                                X