Nasty steering probs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nasty steering probs

Well i`ve had it six hours and it looks like the first major prob has hit already
    When i picked it up the steering was fine, a bit heavy but i put that down to the 33" tyres and the body and suspension lift (my previous was a basic 2nd gen) Now my post has gone from, Is this normal to Oh shit it cant be, Sometimes it turns fine but sometimes it wont and i have to swing on the steering wheel to get any joy at all then suddenly it`ll clunk and turn (scary). Lots of high pitched whining going on too some of the time. The pump doesn`t move, the belt is well tight and its got fluid in. Any ideas ? Oh and i keep getting out and forgetting the ground is six inches further away but that i can deal with

I've seen that truck mate and to me the wheels look far to big for the arches! The geometry looks wrong and I'd be cr@pping hedgehogs if I had to drive it. The more mechanically gifted will be along shortly to give you the in depth reasons why the steering feels dodgy.

Take care when you're out driving it mate, something is definitely amiss there!
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Its got 18" wheels on it, i`m guessing a 3rd gen should have 16" but it was fine at first but now its most definitely not, all i can think of that i`ve done is change the angle of the steering wheel but i cant see how that would cause anything to happen but then again i know nothing about the setup, i used to do my own mechanics when i had a bike and no job.

Comment

there is no belt on the P/S on a 3rd Gen, its runs off gears inside the timing cover.

it could be something jamming in the rack, or badly seized ball joints.

does it do it when jacked up and wheels off the floor? you should be able to turn it from lock to lock by hand twisting on a front tyre.

the steering needs special attention when body lifting a 3rd Gen, check the spacer isn't rubbing or catching on the exhaust.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

You bought it off a dealer, didn't you?

Before you mess with it should get on to him - if it's dangerous he must fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
            there is no belt on the P/S on a 3rd Gen, its runs off gears inside the timing cover.

it could be something jamming in the rack, or badly seized ball joints.

does it do it when jacked up and wheels off the floor? you should be able to turn it from lock to lock by hand twisting on a front tyre.

the steering needs special attention when body lifting a 3rd Gen, check the spacer isn't rubbing or catching on the exhaust.
            Hmmmm if there`s no belt then maybe that thing i thought was the p/s pump isn`t. Left hand side of the cylinder head with a pulley and belt on it.
            Sorry i`m a tad ignorant on the layout i tend to learn as things go wrong and my last hilux rarely went wrong. That the lack of manual and little free time i get has kinda left me in the dark.
            It feels like something is jamming and when i give it some force it gives, possibly as you say seized ball joints but its not consistent and is accompanied by a whining from the pump. Would the pump whine under duress ?
            As i got it off a dealer i`ll give him a bell and let him know its a death trap. I`ll have a look for things getting in the way when it gets light.
            Haven`t got a jack big enough to lift the front end but there`s one in work so i`ll give that a try tomorrow and failing that i`ll take it to the 4x4 garage nearby for an assessment.
            Hopefully as the last post said "The dealer will have to fix it" cos i dont wannna give it back its a tad more than i need from an off roader but its got all i want, the guy`s just gone to more of an extreme than i would of if i`d got it done myself and i might well get more adventurous its been a good while since i`ve done some green laning and i`d like to resurrect the hobby.

Comment

It does sound like low, wrong, or knackered, power steering fluid. Have you checked the level with the fluid hot and the engine running. Also, what colour is it?
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by schrodingers-cat View Post
                Hmmmm if there`s no belt then maybe that thing i thought was the p/s pump isn`t. Left hand side of the cylinder head with a pulley and belt on it.
                Take a picture and post it.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                  It does sound like low, wrong, or knackered, power steering fluid. Have you checked the level with the fluid hot and the engine running. Also, what colour is it?
                  Tried to check the level with the engine running and got showered with power steering fluid. it came spurting out when i opened the cap. It was more pink than red, best way i can describe it is. What a pint of Guinness looks like when its just been poured but red

Comment

Originally posted by schrodingers-cat View Post
                    Tried to check the level with the engine running and got showered with power steering fluid. it came spurting out when i opened the cap. It was more pink than red, best way i can describe it is. What a pint of Guinness looks like when its just been poured but red
                    Sounds like the fluid level is way too low and being aerated.

There will be a 'cold' level on the dip stick, check that one first thing in the morning, see what it is like and top up if needed. Then check it hot (with the engine off).

Comment

I'm desparitely trying to remember if the fluid should be checked with the engine running or not. I check it running, but I may be wrong.

Comment

Lovely weather out there,not
                        The fluid is just barely touching the dipstick but how much of that is down to me checking it yesterday and losing some i dont know, i`ll go get some when the shop opens
                        Here is the picture of what i took to be the p/s pump
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thats the A/C pump.

The fluid is normally all mushy when its got air it in like Albannach said, it normally starts to play up there is only 5mm or so left on the dip stick.

Running or not dosn't make much difference to level, but its splashy if you try and check it running.

Good chance its just low fluid, the pumps can leak on KZ/TE motors, but even thats not the end of the world to fit new seals to.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                            Thats the A/C pump.

The fluid is normally all mushy when its got air it in like Albannach said, it normally starts to play up there is only 5mm or so left on the dip stick.

Running or not dosn't make much difference to level, but its splashy if you try and check it running.

Good chance its just low fluid, the pumps can leak on KZ/TE motors, but even thats not the end of the world to fit new seals to.
                            There`s not even 2mm on the stick, its nowhere near the hot or cold levels. I`m hoping thats the prob but that leaves the question where did it go cos its not leaking out, would it be detrimental to anything if i used that stuff that allegedly stops p/s leaks even if its not a leak, just to be sure

Comment

if its leaking you'll see it over the bash plate.

P/S stop leak dosn't seem to effect anything, have used it now and again. Try topping it up forst though, it much just have a been worked on and not given time to settle.

Fill it and cycle the steering and see how it goes, its often takes a few minutes to get the air out, so just keep spinning steering wheel lock to lock for slightly longer than you think is right, it always get there in the end!

Comment

Working...
                              X