rear window advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear window advice

my rear window started jumping a bit as it went up and when it reached the top it jumped on the cog a couple of times,anyone had the same symptoms and what did you need was it the motor or the mechanism that needs replacing,i will strip it down when i get a chance but would be helpful to know what i am looking for as it sounds a bit awkward and if i take the motor out are the arms they sprung and likely to chop my fingers off.

It sounds like the motor but you will need to take the mechanism out and check the teeth on that also.If your careful when taking the motor out then you can release the tension on the mechanism slowly.That's if the motor is taken out with the mechanism
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

That sounds similar to mine, and on stripping I found that a few teeth have broken off the mechanism.
      If that's the case then it's a new mechanism you need.

You won't find this out for certain until you take the door apart tho.
      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

I had exactly the same thing happen and upon investigation the mech was fine but on stripping and removing the motor, found that some of the teeth had worn away (very easy job, just pull off carpeted cover off tailgate, undo the 5 retaining screws holding cover plate, carefully (CAREFULLY) remove plastic on the left side, whereupon you will find the Motor, held on from the underside with 3 x 10 mm bolts, a ratchet spanner is VERY useful for undoing these awkward little buggers
        If you find some of the teeth are buggered, you can remove the cover plate on the motor and slide off the circlip and pop out the cog (good opportunity to stick in a bit of grease aswell) i rebuilt the cog on mine using oxy-acetylene/braising rod (was out of gas on the mig) and it lasted another couple of years before something else packed up in the motor (v v expensive that tiny motor is like £150 :/

Comment

i have just replaced the motor on my rear regulator with one from a toyota corolla and, it works a lot better than the one it replaced and it was £18 delivered off fleabay
          I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tonupteabag View Post
            i have just replaced the motor on my rear regulator with one from a toyota corolla and, it works a lot better than the one it replaced and it was £18 delivered off fleabay

I had a feeling they would be pretty much the same! but i was ''convinced'' by someone there was no-way as they were ''special''
            Did you use the passenger window motor?
            Good job the new one i got is still sealed in the bag, its goin back!

Comment

yes it was passenger side
              I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Most Toyotas of the same vintage have the same motor installed on the passenger side - I'm not sure about all the front ones being the same, but definitely the rear ones are. As for chopping your fingers off when releasing the motor, there are 2 holes in the mechanism that line up when the scissors are aligned for the motor. Find them and stick a small screwdriver through them both before removing the motor - it can stay in there until you reinstall the parts and the spring will remain in its pre-set position.

Comment

..Just to add, if you can get the motor out and take it with you to a scrap yard its possible to match it with the same type on site. There is a chance that if youre not careful you could end up with a motor that looks right but is wrong "handed" without knowing it. The only problem being that it just wont fit......HOWEVER.. not the end of the world!! if you get the motor off yours and find that its only teeth missing off the motor cog, with a bit of swapping and changing you can maybe use the new cog in your old motor. (did mine six months ago and goes like new )
                  And of course all this gives you a chance to give everything a good greasing, (probably the first time since it left tokyo..! )

Comment

My motor is tired so the search begins:

Rumour says these fit I won't say driver or passenger to avoid euro confusion:

MR2 Mk2 (W20 89-99)Front right
                    Corolla fronts
                    Carina

Found this in France:
                    http://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_a...68.htm?ca=12_s

When I put in the part number it doesn't come up as the same, although it looks it. Although the plugs looks different, np to change it though.

http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/t...720-12060.html

However putting in the correct part number for the surf lots of others do.

http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/t...710-35050.html

Note replaced with 85720-35070

Would you guys take the risk for a shiny new motor for £90?
                    Last edited by Ploddit; 12 March 2011, 20:47.

Comment

Working...
                    X