X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4td 1991 Manual Power loss

hey

i have read posts about power loss etc
    i have no power and running very lumpy over 2300rpm and seems to struggle for power. I know the speedo isnt very accurate ive or take 10mph but im lucky to keep it at 40mph, never been above it. the turbo light comes on at 1900-2300rpm depending and makes the whining noise.

I enquired the truck with the flywheel problem, but have been in vehicle before she broke and was fine. But i did hear that the owner did limp home in 1st gear for abut 10miles up n down hill. will this affect it? is the engine dead?

Then she has been laid up for 6-7months and thought it was due to lack of use but have covered over 50miles since and add a bottle of injector cleaner and no difference. Had a service e.g filter oil change

Im hoping its nothing serious, hope its a simple fix like injectors cleaning or somthing.

Thanks surfers

Bolted to the side of the airfilter can is the boost pressure sensor, make sure the vacuum pipes to and from it are connected.

Comment

Thanks Bushwacker mate

will look in morning, but i think when i checked all the vac lines it was connected

Comment

There's a short piece of vac pipe on the side of the inlet manifold with a small filter/valve on the top, (it comes from the boost sensor) this pipe can get covered with oil that has condensed and dripped out of the inlet tubing. The oil causes the rubber to swell and can slip off.
        If this short 'J' shaped section of vac pipe isn't connected, you'll get no boost, even though the turbo is creating it.

Comment

ahha might be my problem there
          but i need a nut splitter to get off the heatshield nut, as some kind garage to$$er sheared it off.

will look as soon as i can, which side is this pipe on, is it easy to see?

Comment

Originally posted by quirky292 View Post
            ahha might be my problem there
            but i need a nut splitter to get off the heatshield nut, as some kind garage to$$er sheared it off.

will look as soon as i can, which side is this pipe on, is it easy to see?
            Stand at the passenger side, looking at the air filter housing, follow the rubber pipe from the boost sensor on the side of it to the inlet manifold. You'll see the small filter/valve clipped to the maniflod, the 'J' shaped section of pipe is under/connected to that.

Comment

okey thanks

sorry about lack of knowledge im a newbie to surfs

thanks

Comment

No worries, here's a photo to show what I'm on about...

Circled in yellow is the boost sensor.
                Circled in green is the 'J' shaped boost pipe.
                Attached Files

Comment

thanks

i understand now, will look in moring give her a spin around and see if any improvements, can you buy a replacement boost sensor? do they usually cause problems?

Comment

The boost sensors don't usually fail, it's the vac lines that cause problems.

If you need a sensor I have a couple here.

Comment

okeyt thanks,
                      like i said will look tomorrow and let you know, may need new one or vac line etc

Comment

i have checked it, was connected and everything seems fine, noblockages or anything.
                        Hasnt made any difference though.
                        So ..... injectors?

Thanks

Comment

Does it rev OK in neutral? Any spluttering?
                          Air filter clean?
                          Is there a loud hiss when you unscrew the fuel filler cap?
                          Has the flywheel/clutch been replaced?

Comment

Does it rev OK in neutral? Any spluttering? No Problem at all
                            Air filter clean? ypu renewed 100km ago
                            Is there a loud hiss when you unscrew the fuel filler cap?Only a little hiss
                            Has the flywheel/clutch been replaced?Clutch was replaced before purchased about a year ago, Flywheel replace 2months ago with a second hand dual mass
                            will any of the above affect it then?

Comment

If it revs OK i.e. up to the red-line in neutral, but struggles under load, then I would suspect the fuel filter is clogged.

Comment

Working...
                              X