Diesel Additives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel Additives

For the past 3 years I have been using Millers Diesel Power Plus as an additive in my Taxi with great results. It not only cleans your fuel system and injectors but lubricates your fuel pump, which with the introduction of low sulphur diesel is a must.
    For the past month I have been using it in my surf and have found the engine to run smoother and my mpg has gone from 223/24 to 26/27mpg.
    It costs £6.50 for 500 mls and you add 1 ml per litre of fuel.
    If anybody is interested their website, where you can find you local stockist is
    http://www.millersoils.co.uk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO WORK FULLTIME

I used Redex in the last fill up and the engine seems noisier?
    Although i don't think Redex does the same job as the diesel power plus
    Could just be bad diesel I suppose.

There is a stockist of Millers Diesel Power Plus near me so i'll try that next. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Ian
    One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

Originally posted by icsys
      I used Redex in the last fill up and the engine seems noisier?
      Although i don't think Redex does the same job as the diesel power plus
      Could just be bad diesel I suppose.

There is a stockist of Millers Diesel Power Plus near me so i'll try that next. Thanks for the suggestion.
      I've heard good things about Millers as well, mind you I tend to use Redex or STP (my local Halfords don't sell Millers).

With regard to the noise, in my experience Diesels should be noisy, if they are quiet then they are running with the timing too far retarded. The only way to get a diesel running right and quiet is to fit a load of soundproofing under the bonnet.

Cheers

Comment

Everything about the Surf is a 1st for me:
        first diesel
        first automatic
        first 4x4

I know diesels are noisy compared to petrol. It's just taking me time to get used to it. Plus the auto box revving for what seems like ages before the next gear kicks in.

Too many firsts all in one go!
        Last edited by icsys; 2 October 2003, 10:20.
        Ian

Comment

local shop to me stocks it, if anyone wants some let me know and i'll bring it down to the pit on the 12th - £6.99 a bottle (500ml).
          Dave

Comment

Originally posted by icsys
            Everything about the Surf is a 1st for me:
            first diesel
            first automatic
            first 4x4

I know diesels are noisy compared to petrol. It's just taking me time to get used to it. Plus the auto box revving for what seems like ages before the next gear kicks in.

Too many firsts all in one go!
            Ian... you sure you haven't got the ECT switch set to 'SPORT' (interesting term )
            This setting hangs on to each gear far longer then normal...... and if you want an auto to change gear a bit earlier, lift your foot up a little, let it change gear, then put the throttle back on - but not hard down !

Its our first oil burner and first 4x4 - a whole new world innit ?
            You gotta love those growling fans & whistling turbo though aintcha?
            Jim
            [center][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=7][color=magenta][u][b][img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipgrl12.gif[/img][/b][/u][/color][/size] [img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipmn1.gif[/img][/font][/center][center][img]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim_ashton/shyAV5.jpg[/img][/center][center][b][color=#ff00ff][size=7][u]E[/u][/size][u][size=5]ms [/size][size=5]&[/size][size=7] J[/size][size=5]im[/size][/u][/color][/b][/center]

Comment

sorry to change subjects, but in this thread there was mention of redex and stp. which is better?

Comment

Originally posted by civic888
                sorry to change subjects, but in this thread there was mention of redex and stp. which is better?
                this is good, pour it straight into the filter
                Attached Files
                [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
                [size=5][/size]
                [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Hi Jim.

Ian... you sure you haven't got the ECT switch set to 'SPORT' (interesting term )
                  This setting hangs on to each gear far longer then normal...

I thought that but on or off it did'nt seem to make much difference.

The little trick of lifting the foot works though.
                  I'm sure i'll get used to it..............eventually!
                  Ian

Comment

Is it true that once you start using fuel additives you have to keep using them? or is this just an old wives tale.

Comment

Diesel Additives

The only addative you do not want to use is whats known as sniff to start a diesal engine...this is one you squirt up the air intake to aid ignition, this one is addictive to the engine
                      Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Originally posted by mark g8awo
                        The only addative you do not want to use is whats known as sniff to start a diesal engine...this is one you squirt up the air intake to aid ignition, this one is addictive to the engine
                        thats not actually an additive, its a spray called easy start which starts worn diesel engines when its cold any they wont fire up
                        [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
                        [size=5][/size]
                        [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

addito...

As a former fuel injection pump mechanic, I deeply suggest you to pour ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) into full tank & 1l ATF/70l diesel basis...

I was totaly disagree to use it for the rotary pumps when I have been told by an American colleague years before but then I ve been addicted into this liquid!

First of all , its cheap and not harmful like other chemical based products against to rubber hoses, o-rings etc in long period,helps the upper cylinder lubrication and contents of zinc protects the lapped parts agaisnt to corrosion,

yes, engine will get more smoother and would prevent the black smoke in long term but the side effect is, your engine will be addictted,,

try it..,

Jazzbo

Comment

I have bought some of the millers adiditive i will let you no if it improves my surf !!!!
                            [size=4][color=#00ffff]SSR-X 1996 3.0 TD !!! ESSEX BOY'S RULE !!!!!![/color][/size]

Comment

Working...
                            X