yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Center Console And Gearstick Getting Hot, Hot, Hot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Center Console And Gearstick Getting Hot, Hot, Hot!

Hey everyone!

I have a 1992 Hilux Surf SSR-X 2.4L Automatic and the centre console and gearstick are heating up.

No overheating warning lights are coming on or anything and it heats up faster if I have a window open in the cab. Its like there's a heat shield or something missing underneath and hot air is being drawn up through the centre console.

I had a mechanic check the engine and he said its ok, not overheating or anything. Then I had a different crew have a look at the transmission and they said its ok and not overheating either.

Now I'm stuck.

Just wondering if anyone else had a similar problem or has heard of it before.

Should there be some type of heat shield above the transmission, underneath the centre console so that the hot air isn't being drawn up when there's a draft? Maybe it fell of or something cause the mechanic said there didn't appear to be one and that the engine noise in the cab was louder than usual, also suggesting I'm missing some type of insulation/heat shield underneath.

Any ideas would be most welcome!

Gud stuf,

Rob.

Has your Surf had a body lift by any chance?

Comment

They get hot.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

2.7s dont. Not even slightly!
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
          Yep, even cartons of apple juice stay cool in the centre consol.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
            Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            Yep, even cartons of apple juice stay cool in the centre consol.
            Are you two a double act now.
            If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
              Are you two a double act now.

Buy that one you posted earlier and we could be a threesome................

....er, that didn't come out right did it?

Comment

No, I think it came out fine...

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                  No, I think it came out fine...
                  Im off before people start to talk.
                  If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

yeah i noticed mine gets warm, remember theres the aux heater mech for rear seats underneath it tho, that's all it'll be
                    www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Hey davec170,

Yes my surf has indeed a body lift, 5inches I think, it had it when I bought it. Do ya think that has something to do with the heating up?

When I say it gets hot I mean like it'll burn your hand, not just warm, problematic oh-God-is-the-surf-going-to-explode hot.

Any ideas wud be great guys!

Rob.

Comment

A 5" body lift. are you sure? If you've had a body lift, quite often the gearstick gaiters arent re-fitted properly or pop off, could be that.

Comment

If the truck has a 5" bodylift, then the transmission and exhaust will be 5" further away from the floor.
                          If the floor/tunnel is still too hot to touch, you've got other issues.

Comment

A 5" bodylift? I hope those bolts have been up-sized, and the blocks are bigger diameter than 2".
                            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by robq View Post
                              Hey davec170,

Yes my surf has indeed a body lift, 5inches I think, it had it when I bought it. Do ya think that has something to do with the heating up?

When I say it gets hot I mean like it'll burn your hand, not just warm, problematic oh-God-is-the-surf-going-to-explode hot.

Any ideas wud be great guys!

Rob.
                              Any pic's?

Common sense would dictate that a body lift takes the centre console further from the heat, making it cooler.

Experience (mine, anyway) show's otherwise. The center console on mine always got warm, but once I did a 3" body lift the heat was incredible! Road noise had also increased markedly.

I had dislodged the seal between the shift levers and the transmission tunnel.

Remove the centre console and examine the seal around the hole for the gearbox selectors. If it is well sealed I'd be surprised!

If it isn't, seal it! If original is no longer up to the job, high density rubber matting with slots cut for the levers does a good job.

Last edited by davec170; 22 November 2010, 21:16.

Comment

Working...
                              X