Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disturbing Oil Leak

Hi All,

Just home from the school run to find engine oil dripping quite heavily from around the bash plate and sump area.

Anyone any suggestions where to start looking for the problem?

Thanks!

Gary

Possibly the crank seal.

Comment

re

I changed both seals on the front of the engine (crankshaft and camshaft) oil when I did the water pump about 6 months ago Vince!

Is it possible that one of them has came loose or are there more at the back?

Gary
      Last edited by hellmett; 4 November 2010, 17:01.

Comment

Originally posted by hellmett View Post
        I changed both seals when I did the water pump about 6 months ago Vince!

Is it possible that one of them has came loose?

Gary

They wouldn't come loose, but they could wear and leak if the crank/bearings were worn. But saying that you would notice the vibrations. (apart from the usual diesel vibrations that is!)

Is the leak definitely coming from the bottom of the engine? Maybe wipe/dry it off and see if you can spot it.

Comment

re

It's pi55ing down here at the moment so when I get a chance I'll see if I can spot where the leak is actually coming from.

Totally pi55ed off with it! just when you think everything is sorted another problem appears!

I've a good mind to SORN it or SELL it as I'm off to Afghanistan soon!

Appreciate the help!

Gary

Comment

I put a roughtrax crankseal on my 2.4 and it worked its way loose after 4000 miles. The genuine Toyota one I replaced it with was a lot tighter fit and I used some loctite stuff that Nev recommended. Been fine since.

Cheers,
            Rob.

Comment

re

I got mine from Roughtrax as well mate.

I'll wager that is what has happened!

Did yours seem to be running from the bash plate at all?

Groan, I hate the thought of stripping it all and changing the cam belt all over again.

Nightmare especially in the cold and dark evenings.

Comment

Mine went at 70mph on the motorway - oil everywhere Take the bash plate off and get some engine degreaser on, jet wash off and you'll soon find out where its leaking from.

Comment

re

Cheers Rob,

I think I might take the aircon rad off when I'm at it, the aircon has no gas anyhow!

Is this a big job?

Gary

Comment

No it's very easy - from memory a few 12mm bolts and a few 10mm ones. Took mine out when I did the head. It's more work if you remove all the hoses right back to the bulkhead.

Comment

re

Righto!

Got under her this am, took the bash plate and AC Rad off, ran her for 5 mins and the oil leak is deffo coming from behind the plastic cambelt cover.

I guess that it almost definately is the crankshaft seal from Roughtrax that has gone.

I am furious!

I only changed this literally during the summer!

What do I do now?

Do I need to put a New RELIABLE Toyota one in to sort it or do I replace the cam belt etc. as well because of the oil leak?

Could someone please advise?

Thanks!

Gary

Comment

I'd reuse the belt if you only did it in the last few months and get a seal from Toyota, I can't see there being much of a price difference. I fitted the cheaper balljoints from RT 2 years back, a mechy mate did the job and said quality wise the replacements were nowhere near the toy ones he'd taken out and probably wouldn't last anywhere near the time the originals have. True to his word the rubbers are splitting as we speak, for the price theyre ok but I'll get toy parts next time. H

Comment

Originally posted by Hazzo View Post
                          I'd reuse the belt if you only did it in the last few months and get a seal from Toyota, I can't see there being much of a price difference. I fitted the cheaper balljoints from RT 2 years back, a mechy mate did the job and said quality wise the replacements were nowhere near the toy ones he'd taken out and probably wouldn't last anywhere near the time the originals have. True to his word the rubbers are splitting as we speak, for the price theyre ok but I'll get toy parts next time. H
                          The seal only went on thursday mate so am I ok to wash everything down and reuse?

I haven't taken stripped it down yet so I'm hoping that the oil hasn't splattered too much as it only started dripping JUST as I parked up!

I think in future I will buy Toyota parts as even thought the generic ones are cheaper I cannot be bothered changing them time and time again!

Comment

on mine the rocker cover gasket and the turbo gaskets are leaking at present, oil goes down all over engine and drips off front axle and bash plate,

somebody before me had done rocker cover with some kind of gasket sealant... I'm ordering the Toyota gaskets too to be sure, think they get them in by order from Belgium Toyota co

Comment

Working...
                            X