No announcement yet.

New Surf Owner After Some Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second generation does not have rack and pinion steering. Check Idler Arm, Pitman Arm, Tie Rod Ends and Ball Joints.

Nev

Comment

If above is ok and not the cause of wander then check Control Arm Bushes and Wheel Bearings.

Nev

Comment

Glad i edited now.
        If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Thanks guys. I had done a basic check of the ball joints, etc and could not see any visible play/movement in them. Will check pitman arm and tie rods tomorrow. Im hoping its a simple fix and nothing too horrendous!

All I need now is a ignition barrel and bracket and the plastic panel that closes it all in. Then my Surf is fit to go. Does anyone have any interior panels that will do this job? Also I take it the ignition barrel is an easy enough job to tackle? Looks like the previous owner had someone try to pinch it hence the damage.
          Last edited by wiltshireflyer; 31 October 2010, 18:29.

Comment

Welll just an update. No visible signs of wear or play in any of the ball joints and control arms, tie rods etc. Is the steering box adjustable for backlash on this model? Im keen to take the play away from the steering as it wanders quite badly.

Comment

Working...
            X