Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Surf Owner After Some Advice

Hi Peeps,

I have recently bought a 2.4 Surf SSR-X. Im not unfamiliar with the Surf brand as I have had an SSR-G 3.0 in the past, but a few years ago when they were first being imported. I now own a Pathfinder and the SSR-X is my second car.

Im after some advice. On purchase, I was told that one of the injectors was "weeping" into the cylinder when the vehicle was left standing for a while. The guy who sold it was in my opinion honest about all of its small faults, and not being too bad with the spanners, considered it a reasonable buy.

How easy is it to change these injectors and are any special Toyota service tools required? When I last changed injectors on a new Mondeo I was told that the ECU had to be re-programmed for the new injectors etc and changes to the fuel system. Is this the case with the Surf or are they just plug and play? Any advice on this job would be much appreciated. I can see there is a lot of experienced owners/techs on this forum.

Thanks in advance.

I just put mine back on the new cylinder head and no problems so I'd think just plug and play, they have a torque rating so don't overtighten. H

Comment

Yep just change them over bleed them through and away you go
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Smashing thats great. Does anyone have the sepcific torque settings for the injectors please? I dont have a manual for the vehicle. In ft/lbs please as I cant work in new school

Thanks

Comment

Here you go mate.
          If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

He didn't suggest the injector was 'weeping' to explain loads of white smoke on start up did he ?

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
              He didn't suggest the injector was 'weeping' to explain loads of white smoke on start up did he ?
              [quote=wiltshireflyer. Im after some advice. On purchase, I was told that one of the injectors was "weeping" into the cylinder when the vehicle was left standing for a while. The guy who sold it was in my opinion honest about all of its small faults, and not being too bad with the spanners, considered it a reasonable buy.[/quote]He did say in this part Rob that he was told that the injector was weeping into the cylinder so this is why he was wanting to change the injectors and have them at the correct torque....unles i mis-read your post wrong then just ignore me
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                Hi, no....There was no white smoke on starting. She runs fine. She had been sat for about four weeks and coughed a couple of times until I gave it some gas. She hasnt exhibited this now after starting her daily for a couple of weeks. All appears to be ok. She is abit smokey when running, but I am about to undertake a filters change, drop the oils all round etc and give her a little redex or wynns in the filters. I wont be adding much though as I know this can raise the cylinder head temps, and this is not a good thing on the 2.4's...Correct?

Thanks to Si for the workshop manual photo. Very helpful. Where can I buy one of these manuals? Also, SI, I notice the use of a special service tool reference in the screenshot. Can this be gotten around with a deep socket or do I need to get one of these special tools to do the job with?

Thanks again folks.
                Last edited by wiltshireflyer; 28 October 2010, 10:07.

Comment

Hi mate, you can get the book from here.
                  http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=11&cid=1013

As for the tool I have no idea because I've never had to use one, sorry.

Comment

bog standard 22mm deep socket.
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Luvley Jubley then. I have plenty of deep sockets. A job for this weekend then. Also, I changed all the oils and filters today, everything except the front diff. I could easily find the drain bolt but where the hell do you fill it from? I couldnt see a refill bolt similar to rear axle config anywhere. Is it hidden in some obscure place on the diff casing?

Comment

It's a pain to get to if it's the same as the 3rd gen, you need to remove the skid pan & it's hidden right up inside.

It's an Alan key type thing, can't remember the size.

Comment

Originally posted by wiltshireflyer View Post
                          Luvley Jubley then. I have plenty of deep sockets. A job for this weekend then. Also, I changed all the oils and filters today, everything except the front diff. I could easily find the drain bolt but where the hell do you fill it from? I couldnt see a refill bolt similar to rear axle config anywhere. Is it hidden in some obscure place on the diff casing?
                          It should be obvious, a big nut facing forwards on the diff casing.
                          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                            It should be obvious, a big nut facing forwards on the diff casing.
                            Yes if you can physically see it Tony

I have found it now after looking through another thread and reading about it being behind the air con rad. Found it now 24mm hex nut.

Whilst you are here Tony, is it right what I am reading about steering "wander" being usually attributed to rack mount bushes. Are they an easy job to undertake. My Surf definitely has this wander!

Comment

Originally posted by wiltshireflyer View Post
                              Yes if you can physically see it Tony

I have found it now after looking through another thread and reading about it being behind the air con rad. Found it now 24mm hex nut.

Whilst you are here Tony, is it right what I am reading about steering "wander" being usually attributed to rack mount bushes. Are they an easy job to undertake. My Surf definitely has this wander!
                              I did my steering bushes last year, got them from roughtrax.
                              Its not too bad a job, you just need plenty of WD40 & a bit of brut force.

You don't need to physically take the rack off, all thats needed is to undo all the nuts & bolts that hold the bushes in place & the rack will slide back enough to pop the new ones in.

EDIT:
                              Not sure if yours is the same as a 3rd gen so you best check.
                              Last edited by si tate; 31 October 2010, 00:12.

Comment

Working...
                              X