gearbox stripdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gearbox stripdown

Having disconnected transfer and gearbox and taking all the bolts holding the two halves of the gearbox to the intermediate plate out, I still cant pull the transfer end (whatever its called is it extension cover?) off the plate. Do I remove the torx screws in pic 1 and do I loosen and remove the large bolthead in pic 2

Dont stop me now I'm havin such a good time
    Last edited by JimL; 2 July 2004, 18:13.

No, don't undo any of them, unless you like rooting around on the floor looking for springs and ball bearings.

Its only the bolts, Its probebly just stuck on the dowels. Or they have used superglue instead of gasket sealer!!!!

Give it a whack mate.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      No, don't undo any of them, unless you like rooting around on the floor looking for springs and ball bearings.

Its only the bolts, Its probebly just stuck on the dowels. Or they have used superglue instead of gasket sealer!!!!

Give it a whack mate.

Yeah , a GENTLE wack with a soft face hammer , ie copper or hide or a block of wood between hammer and alloy casing . Those allen/torx bolts are the detent spring and ball bearings . Leave them in until you need to remove them later on .

Rick
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Thanks lads, I'll put them back in so

Anyway I did what you said and it worked a treat although the two torx screws, 1 to the lwr left of the gear shifter hole and 1 to the lwr right of it did need removing (I think). One had a ball bearing and spring inside, the left one wasnt like that. The final one that freed it for removal was to insert a bolt into the end of the main shifter rod and pull the slippery fecker out altogether leaving the selector gizmo loose and ready to pull out.
        On inspection of things on this side of the intermediate plate I spotted a tooth gone from one cog with the chip lying close beside on a bearing. I doubt if thats the reason for my neutral motion but its worth saying.
        Boldly going where me no gone before, I'll get the other end off tomorrow hopefully and see the crack. I'm like a student doctor pullin at a torso

Comment

Jayzuz Jim, you'll be able to give up truckin and become a Surf mechanic pretty soon!
          Derek :
          1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
          [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Looks like fifth gear to me ? Was there any noise in fifth ? A chipped fifth gear is unusal as not much chance of crap getting to it from worn bits off other gears .

Rick

Comment

I gotta hand it to you mate - mucho cojones to be able to do this yourself on an expensive piece of kit. Kudos to yoo.

Regards
              Udhi

Comment

thanks for the vote of confidence - dont really know what to expect next though....

Anyway I'm in

found 3 or 4 broken cog teeth inside that werent removed a year ago when I had a job done on it. Overall theres no apparent damage only the one chip on 5th gear...

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
                  thanks for the vote of confidence - dont really know what to expect next though....

Anyway I'm in

found 3 or 4 broken cog teeth inside that werent removed a year ago when I had a job done on it. Overall theres no apparent damage only the one chip on 5th gear...

all credit to u...you've got more guts than a cow
                  Gaz

Comment

Which one's fifth?
                    Derek :
                    1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
                    [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Del

Its the one in the first picture Jim put up with the gears shown with the word OOPS written on it

Rick

Comment

geez you guys ,slow down with the taken apart and rebuilding this and rebuilding that.Iv only just managed to change my steering wheel and that brought me out in a cold sweat.
                        I always work better wet .

Its why I became a plumber!!!

Comment

Rick the Vagrant was right a while back when he said it was a synchro gone wrong. Backupbobs bro looked at it tonite and the synchro on 2nd gear isnt releasing and is takin up drive in neutral

Comment

Originally posted by JimL

Anyway I'm in

You are a braver man than I Gunger Din! Fair play to you.
                            I'm practising on the old Zook before I dare do anything major to the big Toy.
                            It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                            X