Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Warning Light

Hi All,

The brake Warning Light on the dash keeps coming on.

I changed the pads and shoes earlier this year so I know they are ok.

Is the anything else that could be setting this off?

It goes out when I brake hard but comes back on again after I release the pedal!

Could it be a sticking sensor or summat?

Thanks,

Gary

check the sensor in the reservoir as that can be the cause
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Brake fluid?
      I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

re

Cheers guys, never thought of that!

Whereabouts in the reservoir is the sensor?

Gary

Comment

re

UPDATE

Guys, you were spot on!

Was the fluid, slightly low!

Cheers!

Gary

Comment

I was going to post a similar question, but my brake light seems to stay on when i start and goes out after a few mile. I initially thought it might be ice in the pads causing the warning circuit to short and then melting away as this has only happened since this really bad snow and cold.
            However, the brake fluid level would never have occurred to me, but does that freeze as well, hence the return to normal after a few mile?

nigel
            Surf K Reg LN130 2.4 AUTO

Comment

Seriously??

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                Seriously??
                Usual helpful answer again from Bush, anyone got a real reply for me ?

nigel

Comment

Originally posted by nigel129 View Post

nigel
                  Are you kidding?
                  私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Originally posted by nigel129 View Post

nigel
                    What do you mean, again?

Think about what you are asking!

Comment

What do you mean, again?

Think about what you are asking!
                      By again i mean i seem never to get a staright answer to most of my infrequent requests for help, as ive said before, i try to figure out my own problems untill i HAVE to ask for advice, there are far to many here that have sarky replies to what i consider a perfectly valid question, be it right, wrong, silly,irelevent or anything else. Is a straight answer to much to ask. As a long term member on a caravan forum with a dam sight more knowledge on that than i have on surfs, short sarcastic replies would not be welcomed. I was under the impression that those here with a wealth of knowledge would be happy to guide and advise a non mechanically minded member.
                      Maybe i was wrong to ask................

Comment

So are you are asking if brake fluid freezes?

The type of answer you receive all depends on the type of question you ask, hence my 'Seriously' reply, think about it.

Anyhoo, the brake warning light is an indicator of several things, low fluid, handbrake not fully released, low vacuum in the servo, sticking float switch in the reservoir.

Comment

So are you are asking if brake fluid freezes?

The type of answer you receive all depends on the type of question you ask, hence my 'Seriously' reply, think about it.

Anyhoo, the brake warning light is an indicator of several things, low fluid, handbrake not fully released, low vacuum in the servo, sticking float switch in the reservoir.
                          Thankyou Bush, yes ive thought about it and i have no idea how brake lines/hoses are routed or protected from frost, however, i can see that the reservoir if fairly exposed under the bonnet. My other qustion wether ice trapped somewhere in the wheel hub also seems reasonable.
                          I doubt if its the hand brake as i never use it, just park.
                          Vacuum servo ? now thats got me worried if a posibility, sounds expensive and complicated, and that would be a defo for an experienced mechanic. (see i know my limits)
                          Sticking float switch, would that be the sort of thing that unsticks after doing a few miles?
                          Basically Bush, im trying to rule out any simple possibilities before wading into the nearest brake centre.

Comment

BTW, googled freezing point for brake fluid, Freezing point for DOT 4 is -75f(-59C)
                            Been cold here in Wales, but not that cold,

Comment

A simple test for brake vacuum. Get in vehicle and depress brake pedal several times and with foot still on brake, start the engine. You should feel the pedal drop slightly as vacuum assist operates.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                              X