Loose steering arm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose steering arm?

I've just failed my NCT, one of the reasons being "worn offside rack & pinion" or sth like that. I took a look and indeed, steering on right side is a bit loose, right where I marked on the picture. My question is which part needs to be replaced? Steering arm, ball joint, whole set?

LOL, you don't have a rack and pinion!!

The bit you've circled is the track rod end, the ball joint on the end normally wears.

Thats probably what they mean, but might be worth checking, you have a steering box, not rack and pinion, and you might have hassle with the restest if a different guy does it, as it won't mean anything to them. (assuming they know more abuot cars than the original guy...)

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for a prompt reply mate. As for NCT, they've general codes and use them for all cars, apparently this one's for "something's making funny noise on the right side"
      Anyways, the bit I need is this one, right?
      http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=127&vid=298

Comment

yup, check the adjusting tube isn't corroded solid before you order, sometimes you squash them and bugger them up if they are seized on.

A bit of heat and/or lots of WD40 and really big pair of stilsons are normally needed to loosen them.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by fc_pl View Post
          Thanks for a prompt reply mate. As for NCT, they've general codes and use them for all cars, apparently this one's for "something's making funny noise on the right side"
          Anyways, the bit I need is this one, right?
          http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=127&vid=298
          To be honest if they are using their own codes for a failure sheet how the hell is someone meant to bl00dy understand it.What would you of done/said if you went out and bought a rack and pinion for what £200 and all you needed to spend was £15 on a track rod end.
          Any decent tester would know what part it is and actually put on the failure sheet and not a code.To me he ain't a ###### clue on what he is on about
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Most MOT Testers don't have a clue about vehicles, they are just shown what to look for on an MOT and nothing else.

I bought a Capri from a MOT tester and he put the new track rod ends in upside down and then done the tracking on it because it was miles out......... I took it for a test drive and it scared the hell out of me because it wouldn't steer properly, it was all over the place.

Just goes to show how much they know.
            If at first you don't succeed.........give up.

Comment

Working...
            X