still leaking rear axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• still leaking rear axle

my rear axle is still leaking at the joint connected to the driveshaft, at the moment i am waiting to hear about a replacement axle on a scrap car, failing that is it a major job to repair my axle, or is it easier and cheaper to replace the whole unit , if so does anyone know where there might be a spare ?

are you talking bout a leak at the front of the rear diff???

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
      are you talking bout a leak at the front of the rear diff???
      And if he is, it's probably the oil seal unless the diff is so worn that the pinion bearings are gone and running the pinion out of true in which case a new oil seal will make no difference.

Or it could be as simple as a diff breather blocked. Or the Pinion nut loose.

If it's just the oil seal it isn't bad to do, pinion nut either, if it's the bearings then it's more difficult but not impossible. However if it was bearings I think you would know about it more than just a leak.

Cheers

Comment

Groan

WHEN THE CAR HAS BEEN RUN FOR A LONG PERIOD OR WITH WEGHT ADDED i AM ALSO GETTING A GROANING NOISE AS THE VEHICLE STARTS TO MOVE FROM THE REAR HUBS,MORE SO WHEN MANOUVERING , IN THE PAST I HAVE REMOVED THE REAR HUBS TO INVESTIGATE AND THE BRAKE SHOES LEFT MARKINGS ON THE INSIDE TO SUGGEST THAT THEY WERE CATCHING AND JUMPING ON THE HUBS, THE NOISE IS NOT PRESENT AT ANY HIGH SPEED ONLY VERY VERY SLOW SPEED, CHANGED SHOES STILL THE SAME AND THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH BRAKES,.
        ANYTHING SOUND FAMILIAR??
        Originally posted by lucky
        And if he is, it's probably the oil seal unless the diff is so worn that the pinion bearings are gone and running the pinion out of true in which case a new oil seal will make no difference.
        Originally posted by lucky

Or it could be as simple as a diff breather blocked. Or the Pinion nut loose.

If it's just the oil seal it isn't bad to do, pinion nut either, if it's the bearings then it's more difficult but not impossible. However if it was bearings I think you would know about it more than just a leak.

Cheers

Comment

Could be the nut in the diff, just had this on mine. Sort of whining noise from the diff. Drop shaft and large nut in the rear diff had come loose causing oil to leak out. Worst case is the oil seal has gone as well. Luckily on mine Tony & me tightened the nut and the oil has stopped leaking. Apparently it is a commonish thing for the nut to come undone.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

Well tried the nut , still the same !, could it be a possibility that the wrong oil has been put in the axle as it does say on the diff LSD oil only , and it only leaks after high speed or trailer pulling (when the oil is hot!!!) and the same with the groaning hubs, I am just wondering if LSD oil has a higher temperature resistance to the oil that may have been put in there!, at the moment the only noise coming from the rear is the hubs, any ideas???
            Originally posted by Koi
            Could be the nut in the diff, just had this on mine. Sort of whining noise from the diff. Drop shaft and large nut in the rear diff had come loose causing oil to leak out. Worst case is the oil seal has gone as well. Luckily on mine Tony & me tightened the nut and the oil has stopped leaking. Apparently it is a commonish thing for the nut to come undone.

Comment

Working...
            X