Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally back.....with a few problems

Hi Folks,
    Sorry havent been on for a while, just been busy with work and the usual stuff.
    Managed to get the new truck back in one piece ( using Greecysurf route to Latina italy
    , well just about as the Satnav went wonky a few times) but i have been having a few issues with it that i was hoping that you lot could point me in the right direction with...ok well here goes

First of all i know it has the aerodynamics of a brick and im no speed freak and its quite a big truck but it will only do about 70 happily (Speedo in km) and have worked out with the tyres (35's) its actually about 80 but even so at that speed the revs are on about 3000 and it still feels like it wants to go but has nothing to change up to if you know what i mean. Also if you run it at that speed for a while the transmission tunnel gets roasting and the temp gauge creeps up a bit (never let it get past the little temp icon even through the alps), i did have 4 tyres in the back on the way over plus spares but it still does the same unladen...well it does have my fat arse to drag about i suppose

Have checked the ATF and the level seems ok if a little burnt (just driven about 2200Km though some big mountains so not that worried about it or the head…well touch wood).

Checked for loose wires etc but cannot seem to find anything that i havent already re-connected.

No engine check light on (its working as it comes on when you initially turn the key).

Doesnt seem like there are any leaks apart from a small one on the ATF cooler but that is just on the hose connection (over tightened jubilee clip).

Starts ok after changing the glow plug relay and isn't lumpy on startup although it does kick out a bit more unburnt fuel than the other one (glow plugs changed in Jan (still shiney and 80A fuse ok).

Anyone any ideas?

Other things are the fogs / driving light / rear window (works with key), dont work but i think thats just a matter of chasing down the wiring (fuses all ok).

Only other thing is on the steering column is rock solid and i only ask this as on the one on the black one is really flexible on the 'shaft assembly steering intermediate number 2' http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_199...KPQT_4501.html where the rubber doughnut bit is..... So i presume i need a replacement for the black one?

Ta in Advance folks!

Rob
    Last edited by wiggy; 1 September 2010, 08:14.
    The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Hiya Rob.How many gears does the truck change up into.It sounds very much like the ecu is not putting the trans up into overdrive if its revving to 3000 like that.I would have a good drive and check to see if the truck is going into od or not but it does sound very much like the ecu.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
      Hiya Rob.How many gears does the truck change up into.It sounds very much like the ecu is not putting the trans up into overdrive if its revving to 3000 like that.I would have a good drive and check to see if the truck is going into od or not but it does sound very much like the ecu.
      Hiya Rich hope all is going ok,
      Not sure about the gear but its almost like its in 4WD (checked and you can hear it disengaging), and right enough when thinking about it ............. doesnt have that feeling that it is (DUR thought it was just like that with the tyres etc haha) ref the OD switch that seems to come on ok but the ECT switch wont stay on (knacked switch). Can i swap the ECU from the black one or should i try re-setting the one on the new truck even though its not bringing up error codes?

Comment

try the ecu from your other truck and see how that goes.Don't forget to send a list of the relays etc switch and i'll dig them out and send for you so you got spares over there

Comment

Ta Rich will give it a go, its down in the passenger side footwell isnt it? and is it just plug and play?

Rob

Comment

yea leave the original in place and just unplug it and then lay the one from the other truck on the floor and plug and go.Just saves having to take them both out completely

Comment

Ta Rich will give it a go next time we are out, if its not that could it be the ECM and if it is that have you any working ones? .... thinking about an intercooler reckon that would help?
              Last edited by wiggy; 1 September 2010, 10:41.

Comment

Normally Rob if it don't go into overdrive its the ecu.I got no 3.0l's in at the moment as i keep buying trucks to put mot on and sell again.
                Mudskipper should have some parts if needed but no ecu as that was sold

Comment

Oky dokes, thanks Richard. Shall have a go tonight and hopefully that sorts it, then just got to find another ECU but at least i will know whats up with it

Oh did you get your stuff though the post yet? just asking as mail has been really bad here.

Rob

Comment

Only other thing is on the steering column is rock solid and i only ask this as on the one on the black one is really flexible on the 'shaft assembly steering intermediate number 2' http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_199...KPQT_4501.html where the rubber doughnut bit is..... So i presume i need a replacement for the black one?

Comment

Working...
                    X