uh oh!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uh oh!!!

HELP PRETTY PLEASE !!! I've discovered I've got a leaking rear brake cylinder, as I've never replaced one before and am a total mechanical numbnutz, is it a hard job? would I have to replace both? and are the bits easy to get? any other info would be appreciated too ie part#, proper name for it etc.. ta very much.

Originally posted by TAZMAN
    HELP PRETTY PLEASE !!! I've discovered I've got a leaking rear brake cylinder, as I've never replaced one before and am a total mechanical numbnutz, is it a hard job? would I have to replace both? and are the bits easy to get? any other info would be appreciated too ie part#, proper name for it etc.. ta very much.
    pretty straight forward... look at the rear shoe replacement thread for pics... as you have to remove the shoes to get it off... so probably best to do them at the same time... not sure if it's just the seals need replacing or the complete unit... only need to do 1 unless they're both leaking...
    it should be self explanatory when you see it, but pretty much just take off, put on new and bleed.
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Cheers Matt. Can I clamp the brake hose & top up, rather than bleed the whole system?

Comment

Originally posted by TAZMAN
        Cheers Matt. Can I clamp the brake hose & top up, rather than bleed the whole system?
        nah, you only need to bleed it to get the fluid into the cylinder... not a complete bleed through.... just till the fluid runs through...
        easiest with an "E Z Bleed"... it's about a fiver and has a one way valve and a bottle to collect the fluid so you don't need 2 people!

all that and i didn't mention nipple once!

edit:
        and now someone will come back and say it's only like that on a cortina... japanese technology advances mean that you need a small japanese boy to crwal down the pipe and loosen it from the inside!
        Last edited by dabigman; 28 June 2004, 00:02.
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Nice one mate thanks for the info......I'm gonna be brave and have a go. Now, about these nipples???

Comment

Working...
          X