Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front brake hose replacement

Hi all...Mot has just failed truck on brake hoses have ordered kit on
    Roughtrax and have been searching here for info on how to do this.
    Can anyone who has done this point me in the right direction as this
    needs doing and by what i've already found on here my brake fluid
    needs changing.Guys at mot said brakes are ok and if i supply parts
    they would do the job for £60.00 but really cant afford to pay it and
    would like to try and do the job if poss
    any help would be much appreciated......Cara-croft
    You've heard of Lara Croft, she didn't own a SURF!

Follow this guide....
    http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_508_re...rake-hose.html

Comment

But if you're not 100% sure of your ability to do it, pay the £60.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

..Thanx guys for the info i will take a look at those videos later and then decide
        i dont wanna end up ...or worse !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
          But if you're not 100% sure of your ability to do it, pay the £60.
          Nice to have you back Andy

Comment

Hi there
            I've just fitted the roughtrax brake kit this morning, it's a doddle as long as the nuts dont round off on the pipes.

10mm spanner ,19mm spanner, a big screwdriver, a hammer and a jar to catch the fluid is required. Make sure you use a decent quality spanner as a cheap and nasty one will definately round off the fittings.

Undo the nuts on the metal pipe at either end of the flexi hose with the 10mm spanner, if you find the spanner is slipping off then try removing the other end of the metal pipe and slip the ring end of the spanner over the fitting and slide it up to the siezed one. Use the jar to catch the fluid that drains out.

Use the big screwdriver to lever out the clips holding the flexible pipe to the backets.

fit the new hose in place, fit the clips (gentle taps from the hammer) and tighten up the fittings on the metal pipe, use the 19mm spanner to hold the flexi pipe still.

The brakes will then need to be bled, you can buy one man kits that use the air pressure from a tyre to force new fluid in or if you can get someone to lend a hand then it's a case of get them to press the pedal, unscrew the bleed valve, watch the fluid and air shoot everywhere, tighten it up and tell them to release the pedal and keep on repeating until all the air is out.
            You'll need to keep an eye on the fluid level in the brake resovior and keep it topped up.

If you fancy a trip up to Cambridgeshire, I can fit them for you for free this weekend.

Regards
            TFB
            Last edited by TFB; 23 July 2010, 17:27.

Comment

Thanx Bushwhacker, I can see that site being a lot of help, the videos were
              really good...... and TFB... those detailed close ups were really helpful and if only I had known about the brake hoses on Monday when I was driving past Cambridge, on my way home from Lincs, even stopped at Cambridge Services for a coffee!!

So if I ...first... disconnect the hose, doesnt the fluid run all over the place or can I just remove / replace and bleed and then repeat on the other side? That seems to be what is being said from what I have looked at.

What I'm not sure of, is how to tie in the brake fluid change, with the hose change and what is going to be the easiest way?
              I keep seeing different ideas for this.

Cara

Comment

Use a brake pipe spanner and the nut won't round off.

Clamp the old pipe, remove it from the caliper end. Fit the new pipe to the caliper end, then remove the old pipe from the other end and fit the new one. Less mess.

Comment

Originally posted by cara-croft View Post
                  Thanx Bushwhacker, I can see that site being a lot of help, the videos were
                  really good...... and TFB... those detailed close ups were really helpful and if only I had known about the brake hoses on Monday when I was driving past Cambridge, on my way home from Lincs, even stopped at Cambridge Services for a coffee!!

So if I ...first... disconnect the hose, doesnt the fluid run all over the place or can I just remove / replace and bleed and then repeat on the other side? That seems to be what is being said from what I have looked at.

What I'm not sure of, is how to tie in the brake fluid change, with the hose change and what is going to be the easiest way?
                  I keep seeing different ideas for this.

Cara

only about 30 mins from Cambridge Services....

If you want to change the fluid at the same time, you need to get the old fluid out 1st, I tend to just let most of it dribble out by leaving the pipes disconneted and then the rest of the old fluid is pushed out and mixed up when you bleed the system.

If you change your mind, send me a PM. I'm going to be out on the driveway working on the Smurf all weekend so doing another set of brakes is not going to be a problem.

Regards

TFB

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                    Use a brake pipe spanner and the nut won't round off.

Clamp the old pipe, remove it from the caliper end. Fit the new pipe to the caliper end, then remove the old pipe from the other end and fit the new one. Less mess.
                    Good advice. The proper spanners have a slot cut out of them so they can be slipped over the hose and grip the nuts much better. I call them Flare Nut Spanners.

You also want to try and not drain the master cylinder or you will have bleeding problems so do one end at a time as advised. After the new are fitted go through the normal bleeding procedure to do all the brakes. Have a spare bottle of brake fluid ready so you can flush out all the old fluid. You will see when each brake is flushed enough when the new fluid comes through.

Nev

Comment

Help?

Thanks Albannach, TFB and Nev!!

I can see how it is all supposed to work, now the wheel is off. BUT....

I have got the old line clamped and off at the wheel end but I cannot get the new line to go through the bracket enough to put the clip back on. It just does not want to know. I have tried the old one back through the bracket and can see that it is a tight fit and has to be just the right angle but I cannot see what is stopping the new one from sitting right and I have now been at this for ages now. Any suggestions????

Last edited by cara-croft; 24 July 2010, 16:13.

Comment

Originally posted by cara-croft View Post
                        Thanks Albannach, TFB and Nev!!

I can see how it is all supposed to work, now the wheel is off. BUT....

I have got the old line clamped and off at the wheel end but I cannot get the new line to go through the bracket enough to put the clip back on. It just does not want to know. I have tried the old one back through the bracket and can see that it is a tight fit and has to be just the right angle but I cannot see what is stopping the new one from sitting right and I have now been at this for ages now. Any suggestions????
                        Some of the brackets are flanged to grip the hex on the hose. Make sure you have the hose ligned up properly. The hex on the new pipe may be bigger, I can't remember, if it is, you'll have to modify the bracket a bit.

Comment

Thanx Albannach I will look again at it in the morning.

Cara

Comment

Try filing some of the rust and crud off of the bracket to thin it down a bit. The clips should be a tight fit though.

Regards

TFB

Comment

Thanx TFB, that was kind of the only way I could think of getting it to fit. BTW sent you PM.
                              Cara

Comment

Working...
                              X