X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Rack Failure

Hey guys,

Wonder if I could pick your brains?

We have a 3rd Gen Surf which had been showing some signs of steering problems. When we got the rack off, it was filled with muddy, rust water - we sent it off to be reconditioned, but apparently its too far gone.

I've searched the search facility on here and it looks like rack failure is reasonably rare. Does anyone have any experience of this? The cheapest we have been quoted for a reconned replacement is in the region of £400....

Any help or advice would be very gratefully received! I really want to get the truck active again asap.

Thanks

Sam

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=11&cid=172
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Thanks for that - these are the guys that I was referring to!

Comment

So Roughtrax won't give you the 100 quid surcharge back?

There must be other Toyotas that these racks fit and therefore easier/cheaper to get hold of a secondhand one, I'll have a search.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post

There must be other Toyotas that these racks fit and therefore easier/cheaper to get hold of a secondhand one, I'll have a search.
          Colorado has the same basic rack, but the the top fitting from the steering is supposed to be different.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post

A friend took the rack to a place that he uses regularly to get it reconned. Roughtrax did say when I spoke to them that they won't return the surcharge back if the rack is beyond repair, so it didn't seem like much point in sending it to them.

Really appreciate your help guys

Comment

Many thanks to Stormforce and to Lord Lucan - rack on its way to me - saving not only the truck, but also my sanity!

Thanks again guys!

Comment

Dont throw the old rack away . Some parts will still be usable on someone elses truck at some point in future.
                Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Glad you managed to get sorted Sam and good talking today also
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

3rd gen rack

Hi you can buy most of the parts seperate for the 3rd gen good thinking "TOYOTA". Just had to buy the part be-tween the rack and the track rod end from milners for my wifes car £28 + postage +vat. 1ST mechanical thing i have had to buy for her 3rd gen in 7years really P***ed off with that think it time to get rid of now.
                    Live Life To The Full

Comment

Working...
                    X