Leak front diff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leak front diff

My rear seals have blown a couple of times coating the rear brakes with diff oil which I initially thought was bad luck, then the third time I decided that the extended breathers I fitted must not be doing their job. Though they weren't blocked I guess the ID of the tube was maybe too small as when I checked the front there was a leak there too.

Removed the extended breather and fitted standard Milner ones. Topped up both diffs (though they had each leaked they weren't particulalrly low) and (it was definitely diff oil) and driven about a bit. The rear doesnt seem to be leaking anymore so I guess the seal hadn't blown the front however is still leaking, not a lot (it's not pooling on the road but its wet) but enough that somethings obviously not right.

My knowledge of denoting parts of the Surf is never that great but I think it's where the drivers side half shaft meets the diff.
    See pics.

Is this just a case of getting a seal and getting a garage to fit it?

As its just a slow leak should it be OK to drive a couple of hundred mile round trip on Saturday?

looks like the seal is leakin mate, u might as well get the two done no worries then

Comment

Cheers
      Is it just 'diff side seal front' as on this page? http://www.milneroffroad.com/categories.asp?cID=9101

Ok to drive this weekend?

Comment

side diff seal i think coz its leaking by where the shaft is

Comment

bump for the early morning crew

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
            Cheers
            Is it just 'diff side seal front' as on this page? http://www.milneroffroad.com/categories.asp?cID=9101

Ok to drive this weekend?

Yes, as long as it's not leaving a trail everywhere.

Comment

That was what I was thinking/hoping. Thanks Vince.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                Yes, as long as it's not leaving a trail everywhere.
                And even if it is, use strategically placed sanitary towels to soak it up. It worked for Skunk Works, so it'll work on a Surf!
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
                  That was what I was thinking/hoping. Thanks Vince.

It's only leaking when the diff isn't turning.

Comment

Reviving an old thread but unfortunately last night I noticed what seems to be the same issue. I've been out early this morning (fingers felt it!!) and had the bash plate off to help clear some of the mud(!) to have a look. I haven't done a front diff oil change before so I will be looking for some tips on here and will look at what seals need changing.....
                    It's not pouring out as I haven't noticed a puddle anywhere but I'm concerned it may have started a few weeks back when I had to work the truck a bit to avoid getting stuck (pleased to say a Defender wasn't fortunate and required a tractor to get it out!). I don't use 4wd that much so hopefully no damage done has been done but it's still a concern.

Are extended breathers worth it? I haven't had a good look at mine but I'm guessing with the mud and water I've been through over the past 3 months with the weather we've had they may be worthwhile? I use it around a farm collect stuff from the middle of the fields but other than that it is track and road use.

I was out yesterday in it and noticed the thing doesn't feel quite so responsive (as good as it is for an 18yr old thing) so hoping a diff fluid change and auto box oil change may help things. Couldn't put my finger on it but it just didn't feel right.

Cheers.

Comment

Can anyone suggest what seal I need from the attached photos and from where. The first photo is looking from behind to the front, the second from the front looking back i.e. it is the driver's side seal that appears to have gone. The leak 'stain' looks far worse than it was, this is after a good clean and spray of the the actual joint. As I was down there I changed the diff fluids, front was clear as a bell, rear was pretty dark but there wasn't a significant loss at all from the front.
                      Also did the transmission oil but have yet to do the transfer box as not entirely sure what to do there in terms of which oil and in to which hole (!) etc?
                      Finally where can I get replacement diff breathers as both were well corroded and although now free'd off courtesy of WD40 they have lost their spring. Extended breathers would be nice but probably not worth it although I do look for large puddles to help clean the worst of the mud off!

Cheers,

Tom.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Any thoughts from anyone?

Cheers,

T.

Comment

Working...
                        X