yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I remove the Disc brakes on 3rd gen surf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I remove the Disc brakes on 3rd gen surf?

As above really. Is there any how too's or photo's on removing the discs? I need to change them before Saturday cos I'm off to Czech in it! I have changed discs and pads before, but thought I'd prepare myself on this one, as I can't afford anything to go wrong!

Thankyou in advance!

CURLY

Originally posted by Curly View Post
    As above really. Is there any how too's or photo's on removing the discs? I need to change them before Saturday cos I'm off to Czech in it! I have changed discs and pads before, but thought I'd prepare myself on this one, as I can't afford anything to go wrong!

Thankyou in advance!

CURLY
    Hi curly, if you've changed brakes before then you can't go wrong, its the same as any other car, if not eaiser.

Ive always changed the brakes on all my old motors, audi's, fords, vauxhalls & countless others & the surf is no different.

Good luck with it.
    If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

unbolt the caliper and they fall off.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Remove the small spring clip that retains the pad retaining pins, remove the pins, the big spring clip will come off, pull out the pads. Then remove the clip that holds the brake hose into the bracket on the hub, halfway up towards the top ball joint. Then remove that bracket, taking care not to shear the bolt (it will be rusty as..). This way it is easier to tie off the caliper out of the way. Th discs should then fall off (no retaining screws), and it's all downhill from there !
        3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

i'm liking the comments so far!

i might see if i can do a step by step photo write up or something, cos its always handy to share the info for newbies like me.

i was worried that i might have to take the whole hub off or something stupid like that ..

Thanks for all your helpful tips. i particulaly like TonyN's post..

CURLY

Comment

There should be no need to remove any pipework?
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
              There should be no need to remove any pipework?
              I think he was saying that if you did remove the retaining pipe bracket, it will make it easier for me to hangthe caliper up out of the way.

CURLY

Comment

Shouldn't need to do that either. It's normally possible to remove the clip and feed the hard pipe through the hole in the bracket. I've only done a turd gen once though and can't really recall 100%, so may be wrong.
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

You could do it that way as well, and not risk snapping the bracket bolt....good thinking !
                  3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

well i changed them last night, and it was a really easy job! i was quite supprised.

i ended up removing the whole brake pipe bracket and un clipping the abs sensor wire out, and hanging the calliper off the top strut with a bungee cord.

one swift wollop with the club hammer on a bit of wood behind the disc, and it was off!!

cleaned all the flakey rust from the hub, mounted the new disc on, held it in place witha wheel nut or 2 while i mounted the caliper back on, and it was as easy as that!

does anyone know what torque to tighten up the caliper bolts too? in Nm preferably.

i'd like to tweak them up to the correct torque tonight if poss.

Cheers for all your help so far by the way peeps, much appreciated.

CURLY

Comment

Originally posted by Curly View Post
                      well i changed them last night, and it was a really easy job! i was quite supprised.

i ended up removing the whole brake pipe bracket and un clipping the abs sensor wire out, and hanging the calliper off the top strut with a bungee cord.

one swift wollop with the club hammer on a bit of wood behind the disc, and it was off!!

cleaned all the flakey rust from the hub, mounted the new disc on, held it in place witha wheel nut or 2 while i mounted the caliper back on, and it was as easy as that!

does anyone know what torque to tighten up the caliper bolts too? in Nm preferably.

i'd like to tweak them up to the correct torque tonight if poss.

Cheers for all your help so far by the way peeps, much appreciated.

CURLY
                      Ya see, listen to us & you wont go wrong.
                      If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Working...
                      X