Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tailgate window problem

Hi friends
    My '92 surf has a problem about tailgate window. It is not working properly in both directions, up and down. When i try to move it down, it goes 20-25 cm and it slows and stops. Only continues if i force it by hand downwards. When i try to close, it goes again some cm then stops again. again i force it by pushing upwards. Is it because of the its motor or its gear?
    Do you have a diagram how can i take the motor and gear out?
    Could you pls help me...

take the trim off the taigate and clean & grease everything first (all linkages and moving parts), also spray some silicon spray onto the rubber window surround, try this before stripping the motor (unless you can hear the gears slipping). The window mechanism gets pretty dusty pretty quick even in UK, this slows it right down and puts a big load on the motor.
    [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Originally posted by egorkan
      Hi friends
      My '92 surf has a problem about tailgate window. It is not working properly in both directions, up and down. When i try to move it down, it goes 20-25 cm and it slows and stops. Only continues if i force it by hand downwards. When i try to close, it goes again some cm then stops again. again i force it by pushing upwards. Is it because of the its motor or its gear?
      Could you pls help me...
      Theres some info here,
      http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/rear_door.htm
      I do mine with the tailgate up though, from inside the car. Clean the channels out with a cotton wool bud before you lubricate them.
      Pete

Comment

Tailgate window

I had a similar problem when the window eventually became stuck and it was by great effort that it could be closed & opened manually. After greasing, oiling and eventually dismantleing, I found the cogs on both the motor and the winding gear had stripped themselves. I replaced the gear and the motor (available from Toyata dealers at a price) and all is now perfect.

Cheers

Gwllchmai
        [font=Comic Sans MS]--[/font]
        [font=Comic Sans MS]Gwllchmai (Hawk of May)[/font]
        [font=Comic Sans MS]Dartmoor...? [/font]
        [font=Comic Sans MS]What's a road?[/font]

Comment

I had a similar problem. The teeth of the quadrants had stripped so I welded them and filed new teeth. The spur gear on the motor had become grooved.
          I remembered a hint from another forum and got the window motor from a MR2 scrapper, for a fiver!. It fitted and the window operation is now perfect.
          HOW TO.
          To remove the winder gear complete, drop the tailgate with window down. Push both tailgate catches to closed position with a screwdriver. Remove the trim and cover plate from inside the tailgate. You can now fully open the window on the key. Remove the bolts holding the winder gear and undo all the electrical plugs ( they are all different so no prob. with refit). Once the winder gear is free you have to wriggle the whole lot so the lift arms become free of the runners on the glass.
          A bit of fiddling has the whole winder gear clear.
          DO NOT remove the motor before clamping the quadrant gears together or it will go ping and you have to reset them ( there is a hole thru one quadrant so you can drop a 6mm screw thru. Great opportunity to grease everything.

Comment

Originally posted by egorkan
            Hi friends
            Could you pls help me...
            Is it the same whether you use the key in the back or the switch inside. Mine is doing that but I know it is because the keyswitch is dirty.

Cheers

Comment

Mine works perfectly from the inside switch, but won't go down with the key (goes up alright).

Had the thing apart and can't find the problem so am living with it unless someone knows the fix?

Comment

most toyota window motors fit aparently... it's the passenger side one you need so the gear turns the right way... but i'd imagine that revering the polarity would make a drivers side one work?!

edit:
                unless it's earthed through the motor body of course!... d'uh!
                nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by The Typsey Russell
                  Mine works perfectly from the inside switch, but won't go down with the key (goes up alright).

Had the thing apart and can't find the problem so am living with it unless someone knows the fix?
                  Either one of the cables has come of the keyswitch - there are 3 wires, up down and common - or it's one of the relays.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Jopo
                    I had a similar problem. The teeth of the quadrants had stripped so I welded them and filed new teeth. The spur gear on the motor had become grooved.
                    I remembered a hint from another forum and got the window motor from a MR2 scrapper, for a fiver!. It fitted and the window operation is now perfect.
                    HOW TO.
                    To remove the winder gear complete, drop the tailgate with window down. Push both tailgate catches to closed position with a screwdriver. Remove the trim and cover plate from inside the tailgate. You can now fully open the window on the key. Remove the bolts holding the winder gear and undo all the electrical plugs ( they are all different so no prob. with refit). Once the winder gear is free you have to wriggle the whole lot so the lift arms become free of the runners on the glass.
                    A bit of fiddling has the whole winder gear clear.
                    DO NOT remove the motor before clamping the quadrant gears together or it will go ping and you have to reset them ( there is a hole thru one quadrant so you can drop a 6mm screw thru. Great opportunity to grease everything.
                    Thats a great post! No ifs buts maybes, just How To.

Comment

HOW TO.
                      To remove the winder gear complete, drop the tailgate with window down. Push both tailgate catches to closed position with a screwdriver. Remove the trim and cover plate from inside the tailgate. You can now fully open the window on the key.

DON,T forget to support the glass

Comment

Working...
                      X