Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake problem

I have a brake problem on a 2.4.

Brakes work ok on first pump but the more times you pump the brakes the harder the pedal gets and by the time I've pressed the pedal about 5 times it bearly stops the truck.

Brake light is on dim on the dash all the time and flashes brighter the quicker you pump the brake pedal which would indicate vacuum to me, however the pedal goes down when you start the engine which then tells me the vacuum is ok.

I've changed the servo, alternater, the small tank next to the servo and there doesn't seem to be any air leaks because when you take a vacuum hose off it lets out the air.

Fluid is ok and level indicator works in the resevoir which can sometimes stick.

I'm out of ideas
    If at first you don't succeed.........give up.

Sticking caliper, usually passenger side.

Have you bled the brakes? The fluid can look brand new in the reservoir but can be black and dirty in the lines leading to the calipers.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      Sticking caliper, usually passenger side.

Have you bled the brakes? The fluid can look brand new in the reservoir but can be black and dirty in the lines leading to the calipers.
      The calipers are ok, didn't / haven't bled the brakes yet as they weren't spongy but could be worth a try.

I bet it's something really simple.

Comment

Dont forget to bleed the load compensator on the back axle!
        www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

It will be the vacuum pump most likely. Check for air leaks or replace the pump. It can't keep up with the demand and that's why it will only work on a few brake applications. Turn the car off, pump the brake until its rock hard and then start up with your foot on the brake. The pedal should go down slightly quite quickly if the pump is good.
          Last edited by gkm24; 30 May 2010, 20:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Justbrad View Post
            I have a brake problem on a 2.4.

Brakes work ok on first pump but the more times you pump the brakes the harder the pedal gets and by the time I've pressed the pedal about 5 times it bearly stops the truck.

Brake light is on dim on the dash all the time and flashes brighter the quicker you pump the brake pedal which would indicate vacuum to me, however the pedal goes down when you start the engine which then tells me the vacuum is ok.

I've changed the servo, alternater, the small tank next to the servo and there doesn't seem to be any air leaks because when you take a vacuum hose off it lets out the air.

Fluid is ok and level indicator works in the resevoir which can sometimes stick.

I'm out of ideas

**Cough**

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              **Cough**
              Lol

Any other ideas would be gratefully received

Comment

vacuum pump.

Comment

Working...
                X