Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• head removed/other problems

Hi folks

Well I finally managed to remove the head with a struggle after climbing into the engine bay for a good hold on the manifolds. Fears confirmed, cracks between valves on 4,3 and 2 cylinder, and this cars temp guage has never been above half way, even when the thermostat failed in minus 10 conditions. So I'd suggest fitting an aftermarket temp guage to all as the toy-ota one is obviously no good.

Problem number two, before I buy a new head.

I've tried turning the engine over using the crank pulley bolt and it won't move,(the heads off) I used the red button on the shift lever to select N and the truck rolls so it should be out of gear/park, anyone care to suggest, well no, confirm my biggest fears, that this one is for the scrappy, or, am I doing something wrong. TiA, Hazzo

Hmm, thats not good, shouldn't be anything stopping the crank moving regardless of what position gearbox is in.

Sounds like its farked, I've see a 3.0 that seized very quickly when it overheated and the piston expanded and jammed, scouring the bore for a inch or so, but even this would turn over and run when it cooled down.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

hi Tony

it actually seized up when cold on trying to start, do you think the starter motor could be engaged still causing the locking up. There doesn't appear to be any signs of scoring in the bores, the old gasket looks in good order and I've sprayed a bit wd40 in each pot and its not seeping away, in fact the piston tops look great, no pitting and not a great deal of carbon build up, plus it ran great the day before it locked up, even with a busted head. H

Comment

the starter will be easy to get at with the head off, so yank it out and see waht happens.

is there any play in the crank at all? if something was jammed in gearbox/bellhousing etc you sohuld be able to move it faintly, if the engine is siezed its normally locked completely solid.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

yeah there's play but I don't want to try to force to hard as I tend to bust things. Will pull the starter off in the morning n try again, I just thought about it as I typed the last reply. H

Comment

What was the outcome on this? Must have been the starter unless something big broke. Just rebuilt mine and going to pop the last shims in tomorrow and go for main engine start. It been expensive what with new head, valves re-con injectors etc. Hope it pulls my boat well or its going to be sold.

Comment

Sorry for not answering, outcome was that with the starter removed it turned easy, I dont know why it jammed up as the removed starter seems perfect, no damage either on starter or flywheel, there appears to be a stain/ring mark in pot no. 3 which I think could be moisture which had entered this cylinder through the head and caused the seizure. Anyhow I've ordered the new head kit from RT and am presently cleaning up the block face and parts for reinstallation. Hazzo

Comment

Did you order a bare head or the built up kit. I got the bare AMC head from RT and it is a really good bit of kit. Also got the gasket set and bolts from them. If it's the bare head, make sure you remove the steel shims that sit under the valve springs on the old head as they stick to the head and are easily forgotten if you have not done one before. Not trying to teach you how to suck eggs or anything so forgive me if you know all that. I also got my valves refaced for £25 from an engineering shop which made it easy to lap them in.

Comment

GK

No, I've ordered the built head which I'm hoping will bolt straight on and go vroom vroom as I'm enthusiastic with engines but no mechanic, I'll possibly get my mechanical mate to have a look before turning the key once its fitted. Hazzo

Comment

Please turn it by hand a couple of times first before cranking with the key, it gives peace of mind that nothing is connecting, it turns over easier if you leave the injectors out.
                    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

GK

I've done a couple of timing belt changes on other cars so would never just hit the ignition before hand cranking the motor but thanks for the heads up, my brother was a mechanic and together we rebuilt his mini's/stags/others plus my bikes and cars etc so I don't suppose I'm a total greenhorn, I really just pose certain questions to corroborate my reasoning of a job or if its one I haven't done before someone more knowledgeable always has tips or an easy way which I'm happy to take onboard, like I said I'm not qualified. cheers, Hazzo

Comment

Working...
                      X