limited diff or open diff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• limited diff or open diff?

hi hope you guys can help, i went to my local garage to see about replacing my rear axle its an g294 which i believe is an open diff, the mechanic has said that as im replacing the whole axle i could put a axle with a limited slip diff in its place as this would be a cheaper option, is he correct or do i need to relpace it with an open diff axle?

Hi just out of curiosity why are you replacing the whole axle?
    The G294 is what I have, an open diff 8". Toyota make an LSD for the surf which supposedly goes directly into the diff housing.
    Although, all of the research I've done on the Toyota LSD has suggested it isnt very good at being an LSD when used for serious off road - so depends on your application.
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

there is a whining noise coming from it and the mechanic said it would be cheaper to just put a salvaged axle on i have sourced one from nippon auto parts in derby its a lsd but i dont want to buy it if it cant just be swapped straight over.

Comment

The axle will fit fine as long as its off a 89-95' 2nd Gen Surf, but I'm assuming you've checked the diff ratio is the same?

I'd still say its easier to swap the diff, than swap the axle though.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

just spoken to nippon auto parts and they said that the rato is 4.1 and that all G series axles are interchangeable and that the ratio for mine is 4.1 too so i shouldnt have a problem hope they are right lol
          Last edited by zed35467; 26 April 2010, 11:43.

Comment

Working...
          X