braking problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• braking problem

hi there i just bought myself my first surf which is a 2.4td import in fairly good nick but have hit a bit of a snag i noticed the brakes were a bit spongy over the past couple of weeks which i put down to needing bled but all of a sudden they have become absolutely solid where the biting point is right at the top where you only have to touch the pedal to slow down then to add another problem while driving the early hours of this morning i pressed the pedal and it seemed like the brakes were jammed on and couldnt get it up to speed so got out to have a look and discs were red hot and glowing so ive had to park it up till such time as i can get to a garage but i just wanted to double check with you lads does this sound like BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER failure cause this is what i expect it to be any help would be greatly appreciated as i miss driving it around all ready lol
    [B][U]ALMIGHTY CHUBBY[/U][/B]

just been told that if brakes to the floor its the master but if pedals solid its the servo is this right or could it just be in really bad need of getting bled

Comment

I reckon you have more than one issue there. Spongy brakes are usually a bleeding thing, hard pedal is sometimes a servo thing. I've never known either to cause brakes to lock on. I suppose it could be that the master cylinder piston is siezed?
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

well at the moment if you leave the car a while brakes seem fine when u start to drive but after using it for a short while the pedal becomes hard and solid with no travel needed to engage the brakes then eventually the just stick on so when you select drive the car dont even creep forward took it to a couple of places but no one seems to have a clue whats what

Comment

Probably best to start with the easy stuff and work from there.

Check the fluid levels and bleed the system,
          Physically check the pads and discs,
          Physically check callipers and master cylinder for seized pistons.

I think that will get rid of any 'stupid' stuff that would throw you off of the scent of more serious problems like the servo.

Thanks,

Ray.
          I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

see only problem i got is this is my first surf and i aint confident enough to start tinkering just yet plus all my tools and bits and bobs are still at the ex's house but if anyone is in the Glasgow area and wants to earn a couple of quid to do a bleed and general check of the brakes id be be gratefull as would rather give a member the cash than sh*t fit etc

Comment

I'm not saying it's not the servo, but I don't think it is. It's probably not a siezed caliper, because that wouldn't lock all the brakes, only the one with the gubbed caliper.

I don't think it's possible to diagnose this properly without actually seeing the truck. Someone may stumble upon the problem, but that's not diagnosing it. Take it to a mechanic, or have one come and look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by chubby View Post
                see only problem i got is this is my first surf and i aint confident enough to start tinkering just yet plus all my tools and bits and bobs are still at the ex's house but if anyone is in the Glasgow area and wants to earn a couple of quid to do a bleed and general check of the brakes id be be gratefull as would rather give a member the cash than sh*t fit etc
                If you're not confident or competent, leave the brakes alone! There are a few members from around Glasgow, someone will help. Where exactly are you in town?

Comment

well the cars in city center at my work right now

Comment

Working...
                  X