rear diff smashed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear diff smashed?

my toyota hilux surf 3.0 ltr diesel kzn130 auto,driving just 1 mile today,came roundabout than a very loud metal grinding sound, then started to loose drive,manage to stop have a look hoping it was the wheel carrier! sadly it wasnt, got back in stuck it into drive, massive metal grinding noise again,i stuck it in 4x4 and drove to a safer place to park, still getting loud noise from rear sound like my diff is smahed to pieces! and there was no noises or any sign of this was going to happen as well.can anybody help or teel me my diff needs replaced and where to get new parts or second hand diff from? cheers alan.

you need to post up the code on the data plate so we can work out the gear ratio you have, a used diff shouldn't be hard to find, I have a few, and other do to.

drain the diff oil, it'll be obvious if its screwed if there is metal in there

or put it back in 2wd, then try to drive and get one to see if the rear prop is going round, if it is then the diff is broken, if the prop isn't going round its the t/case.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

If it is your rear diff, until you get a replacement, take the rear prop shaft off, stick it in 4wd and you can run round in front wheel drive.
      私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Is the transfer box lever pulled fully back?
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
          Is the transfer box lever pulled fully back?
          Good point Andy! Where exactly was the noise coming from?

Cheers, Nick
          "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

depending on the diff codes then i may be able to help with a complete rear axel of just the diff but you will need to let me know and also the rear half shafts will need to be checked to see if damage has been done to them also.Thats if it is the diif and not anything else thats damaged.
            If its the trans box then i do have a good 3.0l gearbox with trans box available but i need to know by the middle of next week as i will need to get the gearbox off before the truck goes to the scrappy
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

many thanks for all ur replies,sadly it is the diff and i will be adding code of diff so if anybody has one close enough for me to collect.cheers tonyn,stormforce, it has a new transfee box fitted before christmas.

Comment

blimey, Transfer case, now diff!! What are you doing to it? I ran a 220hp V8 in my pickup hard offroad for years and didn't break those bits!
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I must be very unlucky! as now and again go off roading to metal detec but even that is just flat fields,when i get it into drive it crunchies very loud,when i put it in 4x4 it will drive forward and reverse,only in rear wheel drive does it make noise,difficult to find plate as ive got so much wax on it! will try again tommorow.cheers again guys.

Comment

Have you ben driving it on the road in four wheel drive?
                    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

hello again, sadly im not that stupid! and i dont drive on dry roads in 4x4 anyway its going to garage where i work to get on finding fault,sounds stupid is the data plate on vin plate?to find code for diff ? cheers for any help guys.

Comment

yes
                        on bulkhead
                        私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

found out Ive grinded out half shaft all and inner diff also found code g665? contacted guy who sells surfs parts in Braintree, he quoted me £150 for o/s rear half shaft and diff is this good price? can any body else have a better deal i can collect if not far away or meet half way i live in watford herts.

Comment

stormforce i need drivers rear half shaft and rear diff middlebit only if u have time what price?and to post to ha26aa cheers alan

Comment

tonyn i need drivers rear half shaft and rear diff g265 middle bit only if u have time what price?and to post to ha26aa cheers alan

Comment

Working...
                              X