Is my Truck safe....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my Truck safe....

Failed MOT today on Track rod ends and Ball joints....although my garage replaced them(ball joints) last year!......is it safe to drive until Wednesday when i have it done!..i have to travel to Newark from Long eaton around 80 mile trip.....should it be ok?

Hard to say without seeing it.
    Track rod ends turn your wheels when you rurn your steering wheel and the ball joints allow your wheels to pivot.
    You decide.....

and let us know
    私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
      Hard to say without seeing it.
      Track rod ends turn your wheels when you rurn your steering wheel and the ball joints allow your wheels to pivot.
      You decide.....

and let us know
      It's turning fine mate..makes no noise and as smooth as anything...i think my garage could be shafting me to be honnest.

Comment

kinda an impossible question to answer, if they are generally wearing, then fine, but if one fails cos its on the verge of seizing then it could be pretty serious if you are travelling at speed, you have to decide really.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
          kinda an impossible question to answer, if they are generally wearing, then fine, but if one fails cos its on the verge of seizing then it could be pretty serious if you are travelling at speed, you have to decide really.
          Cheers Tony.......no the garage bloke admitted to breaking the track rod end today when he done my tracking with the service and tyres he put on 3 weeks ago!

The 2 ball joints are only a year old ....he put them on march 17 last year they where brand new i just think its strange that they have gone AGAIN!...i have all the receipts!

And he never said it was unsafe to drive or anything today...i have the money and it is going to be sorted on wednesday because she is my baby but i have been instructed by my missus to keep the money in my pocket until he explains further!
          Last edited by Striker73; 12 March 2010, 21:46.

Comment

Although your truck may be safe with worn track rod ends, if you get stopped by the Police your truck will come up on their system as having no MOT, in which case the wear will be the least of your problems!!
            Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman View Post
              Although your truck may be safe with worn track rod ends, if you get stopped by the Police your truck will come up on their system as having no MOT, in which case the wear will be the least of your problems!!
              if the current mot has run out ??
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi View Post
                if the current mot has run out ??
                My current MOT does not run out until next Sunday..the 21st March 2010 i just took it in 1 week early so iam still legal to drive it up until then, it will be mot''d on Wednesday.

Comment

if you still have the reciepts and they are under a year old get the garage #### to fix it, he did break he rack rod end after all there should be no cost to you unles you have been driving like a ####
                  SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by charvell View Post
                    if you still have the reciepts and they are under a year old get the garage #### to fix it, he did break he rack rod end after all there should be no cost to you unles you have been driving like a ####
                    No i look after it, so i think there is no way they should of gone,...(Ball joints)..the receipt has march 17th 2009 on it it says amongst other stuff New Ball Joints x2 fitted....£54.....it goes in for the job to be done on the 17th Which is this wednesday!..so it will be a year on that day!..what shall i do....so i should not be charged for ether the ball joints OR the track rod end as he said he "Thinks he might of broke it when doing my tracking"........why do these people try and rip the poor man off it baffles me!

Comment

I have totally abused my truck off road for the last 3 or 4 years and i have only had to replace the n/s t/r/e's one last year so there is no way yours should of gone in less than a year.If it was me i would tell the garage to do the rod end and then take the truck elsewhere for another mot
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                        I have totally abused my truck off road for the last 3 or 4 years and i have only had to replace the n/s t/r/e's one last year so there is no way yours should of gone in less than a year.If it was me i would tell the garage to do the rod end and then take the truck elsewhere for another mot
                        Cheers mate i think i might do that......and mine has not been off road neither.

Comment

i am replacing all the balljoints this year as i am going to be lifting the truck alot more so i want to make sure the front end is perfect for the 6" suspension lift to fit the 39" tyres i got here.I don't need to replace them all but i only want the front end apart the once this year so it will be done first as last
                          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                            i am replacing all the balljoints this year as i am going to be lifting the truck alot more so i want to make sure the front end is perfect for the 6" suspension lift to fit the 39" tyres i got here.I don't need to replace them all but i only want the front end apart the once this year so it will be done first as last
                            Your one hell of a mechanic to do that mate ...wish i could, it was going to cost me 400 quid form roughtrax for a 2" lift and a couple of hours labour!!....someone told me that if you get a 2" suspention lift then i need a 2" body lift as well something to do with shaft being on a angle is not good or something to level it out?

What am i saying you know all that!.......i wouldrather give you my money to do my jobs on my truck and learn at the same time than that garage!

Comment

Originally posted by Striker73 View Post
                              Your one hell of a mechanic to do that mate ...wish i could, it was going to cost me 400 quid form roughtrax for a 2" lift and a couple of hours labour!!....someone told me that if you get a 2" suspention lift then i need a 2" body lift as well something to do with shaft being on a angle is not good or something to level it out?

What am i saying you know all that!.......i wouldrather give you my money to do my jobs on my truck and learn at the same time than that garage!
                              not correct
                              one has nothing to do with the other
                              search topics here, loads of info
                              私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Working...
                              X