Is my Garage ripping me off!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my Garage ripping me off!!

Hi there, i have a Toyota Hilux surf SSRX 3.0 diesel turbo and have had it now for 4 years and have it serviced every year and it is well looked after, well 3 weeks ago it was time for its full service i also wanted some new tyryes fitted and spacers along with 3 CV gaiters fitted at £170 for the service 3 Gaiters replaced and fitted, Wheel spacers fitted and brand new off road tyers fitted excluding the cost of the the spacers and tyres as i bought them from rough trax....the garage bill to do all that was £450....that was a shock to be honest, then today it went in for its MOT me being MR wise ass thinks "oh it will fly through it" "There is nothing wrong with it"...even the mechanic i spoke too after all the above work 3 weeks ago told me that everything is fine because i was asking about the brakes being 33% worn as what is said in the service advice section. So that is why i was quite confident in it flying through it.

Well today it failed!..it needed a new track rod end in which he admitted it could of been me that damaged it before when he done the tracking as they are pigs to get loose apparently....£39 then he said the ball joints have gone i asked are they the ones at the bottom and he said yes(I'm no mechanic you see) then he said they keep gong on them...diddn't i do them about 2 years ago?...i said yes you did.....he said well they need doing as well for the MOT..another £39 roughly, then £21 to have the wheels re-aligned then he said £70 labor so that is £170 odd quid I'm getting sick of paying out for this truck every year surly they should not keep costing all this..what happened to the saying as long as you look after them and have them serviced they should not cost you too much?..i have booked it in for Wednesday but I'm well gutted.

So after installing these new ball joints after 2 years should they need replacing????...i wish my father was alive he was a diesel fitter, a mechanic with 45 years experience he would of told this garage to do one i think!!
    Whats even more annoying is that i did not inherit any of his mechanical genious..not one brain cell of it!

OH yes looked through some of my recepits and found that he fitted 2 new ball joints march 17th 2009!!! arethey still under the parts waranty..what shall i do!
    Last edited by Striker73; 12 March 2010, 19:18.

I forgot to mention that on the service sheet there was nothing in the comments box about them being damaged...i hardly doubt that they could of gone in the last 3 weeks!..why did he not spot these problems then after all it's what we have a service for!

Comment

Yep, they are certainly shafting you by the looks of it.

Balljoints last years, even if the truck is abused off-road.

The 'garage' should buy you a track rod end too if he admitted damaging it.

Comment

Thanks Bushwacker mate thought so what should i do i have already payed for my MOT £45 and its booked in for wednesday..thanks for your help anyway mate.

Comment

Allso is my truck safe to drive until Wednesday...being its my ball joints and track rod end if they do need replacing.

Comment

Basically a garage should have a duty of care and if they service the truck and state the truck is unsafe to drive then they should tell you or at least advise you not to drive it.I was told this by my mot tester
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

sorry, but what a load of twaddle.
              JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

If it's failed an MOT n not safe to remove from garage, ya should receive a Red MOT refusal sheet (it can't be used on the Highway)

"Cos short cuts never work in the long Term"
                Buncefield Burner

Comment

The current MOT don't run out until next Sunday (21st March 2010) i just have it done a week early, so legaly i'm able to drive but the garage kept hold of the red sheet he asked me if i wanted it he said i will hang on to this if you if you want as it is going to be done on wednesday any way..but no he did not advise me that it is unsafe to drive because of the ball joints or track rod ends.....so i guess it is safe until then.

Comment

Originally posted by lord lucan View Post
                    What with?

Comment

Originally posted by lord lucan View Post
                      Answer me mutha ******.....

What is a load of twaddle..you being rude or is it the garage that is talking twoddle...please let me know what the **** your on about!!!

Comment

The money you are spending seems rather a lot for the work done.
                        To fit 3 cv boots and fit wheel spacers I would charge you £90 if nothing else needed attention while i was at it.
                        Tyres can be fitted for £10 each at my local tyre fitters, good lads too, always do a proper job of balancing.

I am not a garage so don't have the overheads but it does still seem to be a bit expensive.

Get yourself some decent tools and a bit of spanner experience, it's easy if you are shown properly.
                        Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by Striker73 View Post
                          Allso is my truck safe to drive until Wednesday...being its my ball joints and track rod end if they do need replacing.
                          Think you'll find you can't drive it on the road unless to a place of repair. Since your truck "failed" it's test the old one is revoked.

Taken from the government website.

"It is generally an offence to use on a public road, a vehicle of testable age that doesn’t have a current test certificate, except when:

•taking it to a test station for an MOT test booked in advance
                          •bringing it away from a test station after it has failed the MOT test, to a place of repair
                          •taking it to a place, by previous arrangement, where problems that caused the vehicle to fail its MOT test, can be repaired
                          •bringing it away from a place where the problems with the vehicle have been repaired
                          Even in the above circumstances you may still be prosecuted for driving an unroadworthy vehicle if it doesn’t comply with various regulations affecting its construction and use. Your car insurance may also be invalid."

Comment

So you can drive it home and repair it yourself.

It's what I always do if there are any problems with MOT.

Last time it failed I forgot to put the fog light back on.
                            Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
                              Think you'll find you can't drive it on the road unless to a place of repair. Since your truck "failed" it's test the old one is revoked.

Taken from the government website.

"It is generally an offence to use on a public road, a vehicle of testable age that doesn’t have a current test certificate, except when:

•taking it to a test station for an MOT test booked in advance
                              •bringing it away from a test station after it has failed the MOT test, to a place of repair
                              •taking it to a place, by previous arrangement, where problems that caused the vehicle to fail its MOT test, can be repaired
                              •bringing it away from a place where the problems with the vehicle have been repaired
                              Even in the above circumstances you may still be prosecuted for driving an unroadworthy vehicle if it doesn’t comply with various regulations affecting its construction and use. Your car insurance may also be invalid."
                              Thanks mate i never knew that!? so me takin the test a week early then means all i have done is shot myself in the foot?...that can't be right my current mot dont run ut until 21st march 2010...that is not fair, also why did the moron garage man not tell me this?..i have done this before when it has failed i always take it in a week or so early....******* that they are!

Comment

Working...
                              X