Reverse Judder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse Judder

Hi. Been having a recurring problem for a little while now but it seems to be happening more frequently. Basically, when reverse is selected, the truck needs a lot of revs and judders, like trying to reverse with the handbrake on. All the gears seem slightly out too ie. the truck creeps forward in neutral. When this happened the first time I tightened the linkage under the truck and all seemed fine. Last time it happened the linkage was tight so I put some wynnes auto box conditioner in to top up the levels and see if that helped. All seemed fine again, but the judder has returned. Searching on the forum it would seem that the UJ's could be a candidate. As I am a total technical novice, although having said that with the help of this forum I have managed to sort out a fair few problems over the last few years with my Surf, I would be really grateful if somebody could point me in the right direction with what to look for and what I could do in relation to the UJ's.
    When I first encountered this I searched the forum and found a post from someone who had the same problem and cured it by removing the centre console around the gear selector and tightening some screws that had worked loose, but I can't find that post again and I'm not sure what to look for. Any bright ideas?
    Cheers in advance, Simon

No idea what could be loose inside the truck or how worn UJs would only cause a problem when reversing.

First thing I'd check is that the back brakes are OK and adjusted properly. Sounds like the trailing shoe is binding.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I've had knackered UJ's that feel bad going backwards, but not so bad going forwards, its always worth checking them.

But this sounds like binding brakes, or something iffy in gearbox, have you checked all the fiud levels?
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Aye, what tony said, a duff UJ can be ok(ish) in one direction and rubbish in the other.

The creeping forward in neutral bit is strange though.
        Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

I fully understand how UJs work and that they can feel worse in one direction than the other. But given the OPs description, i.e. it doesn't happen going forward, only in reverse. In this specific case, I don't think it's UJs.

The creeping bit is because he's made an arse of adjusting the linkages.

Comment

I would flush the 'box seeing as you added a 'miracle cure' that didn't last, and fill with fresh ATF.

If you need a replacement 'box, there's one in my garage that I keep tripping over, but ask Hiroler what he wants for it first.

Comment

Cheers,

right, maybe it's not the UJ's then as it's a totally intermittent problem. It just feels like it's not selecting reverse properly. Backing out of my space at work today I select reverse it needs loads of revs and is reluctant to move, put it back in to park then cycle through the gears a couple of times (creeps forward in neutral), back in to reverse same thing. Cycle through gears again this time no creep in neutral and reverse is perfect. However, the other end of the journey, backing up my drive, reverse fails to select properly again. The creep in neutral would indicate perhaps that all gears are slightly out.
              One thing I have noticed is that I can sometimes push the gear selector between gears (when the engine is off after pressing the red button) without having to push the release button on top of the gear selector. Do you think that could indicate that something could be loose under the console that could cause the problem or is that unlikely?

As for making an arse of adjusting the linkage, whilst making an arse of things is well within my technical capabilities, I think it is unlikely on this occasion, as the gears were selecting fine when I got my spanners out so all I did was tighten the nut on the linkage and mark its position to see if it slipped. That was about six months ago and all has been well until a couple of weeks ago.

I guess the sensible thing would be to drain and refill the box. The only reason why I haven't so far is because when driving, even now, all gear changes are smooth as anything, hardly noticeable.

Is changing the Atf fairly straight forward, and any tips on how much fluid I need to get before I go and drain the old stuff only to realise I don't have enough to replace it with?

Thanks again.

Si

Comment

Has the truck got a body lift? Sometimes it messes up the arcs the levers make in relation to each other, meaning one end of shifter range or other doesn't select properly and hangs between two positions.

Comment

Changing fluid by dropping it out of the gearbox sump is a doddle. Take the plug out and drain the fluid into a bucket. Replace with exactly the same amount (assuming the level is OK just now), about 4 liters will come out via the sump.

Completely changing the oil is a slightly more laborious procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                    Completely changing the oil is a slightly more laborious procedure.
                    and messy, if you're me doing it to Apaches (old!) truck....

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                      and messy, if you're me doing it to Apaches (old!) truck....

I didn't like to say...

Comment

Thanks chaps. Oh and no Tony, no lift, just slightly bigger tyres than standard I believe.

Simon

Comment

Working...
                        X