When did you guys get the IFS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did you guys get the IFS?

Hi all. I'm new to this forum. I am wondering when the solid axle dissappeared from Australia, England, where ever else other than the US (where I am) I'm also looking for clarification on what models are what.

As I understand it, the Hilux is a US pickup.(non-Tacoma) The Surf is a US 4runner? I think your IFS came out in '97? Or was it later? I believe your IFS is the same as the 86-95 Toyota 4wd's in the US? Is there anything else I should know about this stuff?

The reason I ask is that I started this little company with a friend and we are selling ball joint spacer lifts. (www.sdori.com) I don't want to sell them to someone who can't use them.

BTW, if you have any questions about that IFS.. assuming it is the one I think it is, fire away. I've been tinkering with it for many many years. Should you have any questions about the spacers, feel free to ask as well.

Frank

Originally posted by SD Off Road Innov.
    Hi all. I'm new to this forum. I am wondering when the solid axle dissappeared from Australia, England, where ever else other than the US (where I am) I'm also looking for clarification on what models are what.

As I understand it, the Hilux is a US pickup.(non-Tacoma) The Surf is a US 4runner? I think your IFS came out in '97? Or was it later? I believe your IFS is the same as the 86-95 Toyota 4wd's in the US? Is there anything else I should know about this stuff?

The reason I ask is that I started this little company with a friend and we are selling ball joint spacer lifts. (www.sdori.com) I don't want to sell them to someone who can't use them.

BTW, if you have any questions about that IFS.. assuming it is the one I think it is, fire away. I've been tinkering with it for many many years. Should you have any questions about the spacers, feel free to ask as well.

Frank
    Hi Frank

I think IFS came out in the UK a lot sooner than 1997 I think It was on the 2nd gen 4-runners sold in the uk from early nineties/late eighties (my memory is vauge on the exact dates) maybe some one else on the forum will say if this is not correct!
    www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

That's good to know! I should also ask what suspension is out now in your part of the world?

Thanks,

Frank

Comment

IFS was introduced around 1986 in 1st gen surfs. All 2nd gens have IFS.

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
          IFS was introduced around 1986 in 1st gen surfs. All 2nd gens have IFS.

Ok, so England got the IFS same year as the US. Do you still have this same torsion bar design or is it a Tacoma type coil set up in front?

Thanks,

Frank

Comment

First UK market model with IFS was the 2nd generation 4Runner which was sold in very limited numbers from '93 to '96. This is very similar to an American 4Runner.

The Surf is a hi-spec Japanese market car that has been imported into the UK secondhand in very large numbers. There are probably 4 or 5 times as many Surfs here as 4Runners

After 1996 Toyota stopped selling 4Runners in the UK in favor of the Land Cruiser Colorado which has the same coil sprung IFS as a 3rd generation 4Runner.

I'm not really sure but the torsion bar IFS MK4 Hilux pickup was probably released to the UK market in mid-1999. Current Hilux models still have torsion bar suspension which appears to be the same as the 1989-96 Surf/4Runner system

Comment

Have a look here http://www.brian894x4.com/FOREIGNTOYOTAMAINPAGE.html
              for an excellent listing of the differences between foreign and domestic Toyota 4x4's from a US viewpoint.
              Maurice
              Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Great link, that pretty much answers all my questions.

Frank

Comment

Working...
                X