Sticky steering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticky steering?

I have a 3rd gen Surf (2.7 petrol) and since a few weeks the steering has become a bit heavier it seems. Power steering still works, but it feels like more effort is needed from my side. When driving at 30mph or so, steering feels a bit 'sticky', in the sense that car goes very nicely straight, but turning slightly is not as smooth as it once was. Can power steering become less effective or so?

when you say not as smooth as it was is it juddering? It could be the power steering belt is slipping
    “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Not juddering, it is rock steady straight ahead, and you need to turn the wheel a bit heavier than used to be to make a bit of a turn. How can I check if the belt slips, i.e. where is the belt?

Comment

It's the belt on the righthand side of the engine as you look from the front - It wont judder until you turn the wheel, also check the power steering fluid levels etc (obvious - I know)

WITHOUT engine running try and move the belt by hand, see if it moves has play in it does it feel softer than the other belts.
        “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

silly question but have you checked the power steering fluid levels.I have a leak on my p/s and when it gets low i have similar symptoms as your getting but at higher speed its not so noticeable
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

check you tyre pressure mate
            SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

And the rad cap.

Comment

How can you tighten the power steering belt?
                Any special equipment required?
                Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X