Intercooler for 2.4??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intercooler for 2.4??

Hey, new to forum & Surfs in general, had a few other off-raoders to say the least.

My G reg (will post photos at some point) seems to lack an intercooler... Has anyone managed to get one on theres. Have a spare 2.8 Paj one lying about & wondered if it'd be possible to make it fit.

Cheers

it is possible it fit one in but depands where you want to put it as there isnt much space untill you get a body lift
    Show me where the trench is at or can i make one!

Comment

I know lots of people have done it but its my personal opinion that putting an intercooler on top of the engine under a bonnet scoop is an exercise in futility.

You will get some cooling effect but you'd be much better off buying a generic frount mount intercooler and some silicon hoses from the likes of ebay and mounting it where it isn't sitting on top of a furnace. Neither the 2.4 or 3.0TD are cool running engines.
      En Ferus Hostis. Be your own man. Follow nobody.

Comment

hehe, I tried telling them that years ago, but most are more concerned with mud getting into it and affecting the cooling.

Think about it. If your intercooler fins are full of mud, you have a non-intercooled truck til you wash the mud out. However, your cooling rad will also be full of mud, so you having less effect from the intercooler is the very least of your worries!!

Another con for a front mount is the length of the pipes required, so more lag. Its debatable whether this matters a damn on a 2 ton diesel offroader though!
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

i've got a 2.5 pajero one fitted to mine as a top mount with an isuzu trooper bonnet scoop, and i must say it's made a great difference to mine smoother power delivery, more power and pulls alot better up hills
          when the sh*t hits the fan greet the reaper with a smile

Comment

Originally posted by oneintheeye View Post
            i've got a 2.5 pajero one fitted to mine as a top mount with an isuzu trooper bonnet scoop, and i must say it's made a great difference to mine smoother power delivery, more power and pulls alot better up hills
            What you need to ask yourself is, "how much better would my intercooler perform if it wasn't sitting on top of the engine".

I owned a 2002 Terrano 2.7TDi with an engine mounted cooler and bonnet scoop. The engine itself runs a hell of a lot cooler than the Surf engines.

I reckon that your intercooler would be a minimum of 2 times as effective if it was mounted in front of, or underneath the engine. The heatsoak effect that you're getting by having the intercooler on top of the engine is probably the worst of any of the Jap 4x4s.

Having 15 years of turbocharged tuning experience, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that an intercooler on a 2.4 or 3.0TD Surf has to be front mounted to have any chance of being halfway efficient. Yes, you will suffer a very small degree of pressure drop by doing it this way, but the density of the air reaching the inlet manifold will compensate for this 3 times over.

I estimate that you could release an additional 25 bhp and a minimum 45 lbs/ft of torque on a 3.0 with nothing more than a 3.0" downpipe and a frount mount intercooler.

Comment

i agree front mounts run cooler than top mounts, as i have a little bit of experiance with high powered turbo cars and tuneing them to, but even a top mount is better than none at all. and at the end of the day a surf aint realy a high performance car, mine now runs alot cooler and the temp needle dos'nt move when i'm hammering up steep hills with a trailer on the back, so in my opinion a top mount is a good cheap way of adding a bit of extra power and keeping engine temps down abit.
              when the sh*t hits the fan greet the reaper with a smile

Comment

I agree that a top mount is better than nothing at all. If anything, it will raise EGT/Engine temperature though. The colder the air entering the engine, the denser it is and the hotter it will burn. The only way you can keep exhaust gas temperature down in this circumstance is to get them away from the cylinders quicker, ie. fit a wider downpipe, which in turn will allow the turbo to spin up quicker as a side benefit.

They aren't performance vehicles but thats no reason not to have them running to their full potential. I'm planning to fit a front mount to mine in the near future along with a wider downpipe and a custom air intake.

Comment

There was a guy supplying the full kit for a front mount on the Surf on eBay. I seem to remember it was around the £300 mark for the rad and all the hoses, clips etc. Seemed quite reasonable.
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Cheapie one for a 2.4: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-Surf-2-...item518b393bcf

Comment

You'd probably get the same amount of power gains if a more free-flowing/larger diameter exhaust system was fitted, including the downpipe from the turbo..
                      £300 put to better use.

Comment

Thank you all i was looking at putting a 2.5" exhaust on it and ill have a look and see what intercoolers i can fit. I just have a paj 2800 cooler at work. But need to get it on the road first lol.

Comment

Working...
                        X