Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock Problem - Advice needed please!

Hi All,

Just got a new set of Desert Fox Gas Shocks and while I was removing the old ones I came across this!

Its a large "dent/scrape" on the inside of the shock!

It is only on one side the other is fine.

I was thinking maybe something is bent or misaligned but the Surf handles like a dream!

Apologies about the blurry pics, bad cameraman!

Does anyone know what the heck has cause the shock to scrape against the "dunno the name of this thingy"?

The new shocks are slightly wider which may cause a problem!

Would it be ok to grind a little bit of the "dunno the name of this thingy" to ensure that the shock doesn't scrape against it again?

I dunno what kind of circumstance would cause this to happen, any ideas?

Thanks!

Gary

Happy New Year!
    Last edited by hellmett; 30 December 2009, 21:27.

The only reason I can think of that would cause that is if the torsion bar on that side broke in the past and the front collapsed on that side.

Thats the edge of the bump stop that it scraped on by the way.

Comment

Is the same problem on the other side? Is that pic taken with the vehicle jacked up and suspension hanging down? Are the top bump stope there? Maybe just a problem with suspension at full drop and will be worse with no top bump stops. There should be much more clearance with the vehicle weight on the suspension.

Nev

Comment

Ball joint spacers causing too much extension ?

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
          Is the same problem on the other side? Is that pic taken with the vehicle jacked up and suspension hanging down? Are the top bump stope there? Maybe just a problem with suspension at full drop and will be worse with no top bump stops. There should be much more clearance with the vehicle weight on the suspension.

Nev
          No mate, the wheels were on the ground.

What do you mean "top bump stops"?

That's whats bothering me, it seems as if the shock is too close to the bump stop.

Any idea why?

The other shock is just as close but seems to not have been scraped!

Maybe the geezer who owned it before me was fiddling around with something.

The geometry seems fine so I don't think anything was hit or bent at all.

As I understand, there a 2 points where the shocks fix and both points seem as if they are where they should be!

It's really bothering me so if you can offer advice please do.

Would it be ok to grind that lip off the bump stop point, I don't fancy my new shocks being battered or scraped through?

Gary

PS Thanks for the help guys!
          Last edited by hellmett; 31 December 2009, 01:52.

Comment

In the pics it looks like the torsion bars have been wound up to lift it. Nev is asking about the top bumpstops (little bit of rubber that stops the top wishbone from dropping too much) Often they are removed / cut down when someone tweaks the torsion bars to give the truck some suspension movement.

Thats why I mentioned ball joint spacers - do you have any fitted ?

Take a photo of the top arm from behind the wheel (poke your head in between the front door and the wheel)

Rob.

Comment

Couple of pics for you - 1st one shows the upper bumpstop. 2nd shows the angle of my bottom arms with a 1.5" lift - Yours looks like it's lifted higher than mine ?

Hth,
              Rob.
              Attached Files

Comment

This bit looks different on your truck - check it against the other side (maybe it's been replaced and welded too close to the bumpstop ?)
                Attached Files

Comment

Re

Cheers for that!

I'm thinking that I have a 2/3 inch lift.

I haven't got any balljoint spacers!

I put the new shocks on and went for a 14 mile run.

When I got back it looks as if the new shock hasn't scraped the bump stop at all.

It is noticably closer to the bumpstop on this side than the other.

The upper bumpstops are still in place and apart from your idea about the shock bracket being welded "too close" then I cannot think of what else it could be!

The "upper bumpstops" look fairly new and are sort of rectangular in shape.

This is an older pic with what I guess is the upper bumpstop circled in yellow.

Thanks again fellas!

Gary

PS Should I be right in thinking that if it doesn't cause a problem by scraping against the shock then it is ok to forget about?
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by hellmett; 31 December 2009, 16:18.

Comment

If you jack it up on the front crossmember you will see if it hits on full drop. Do you have balljoint spacers fitted ? How much space is there between the upper bumpstop and the arm ?

Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                      If you jack it up on the front crossmember you will see if it hits on full drop. Do you have balljoint spacers fitted ? How much space is there between the upper bumpstop and the arm ?

Rob.
                      Dunno at the moment Rob, I'll check it tomorrow and get back to you!

The weather is foul here and getting dark!

Cheers mate!

Comment

Working...
                      X