Head Gone - questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
    no worries,def clean out inlet manifold tho,i even cleaned my rocker cover!cleaned the top so much i found the japanese warning stickers lol

Will do mate, trouble is once you start cleaning...................... !

Cheers, Nick
    "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

My head went on my 3.0lt. It took me a week to do the job, but that was stripping the head off and waiting for the new one from Stevo and cleaning the engine up, which is where the time goes. AS mentioned clean out the intake manifold as this is pretty grubby.

I bought the head from Stevo, but bought all the head bolts and gaskets from Toyota. The head gasket comes in three sizes, so I ordered the same size that was fitted by Toyota originally and kept the one from Stevo as a spare. The head bolts are about £10 EACH from Toyota but worth the price for piece of mind.

The vacume pipes are a nightmare and it took me a lot of time to get one of them back on as you can't get your hands in at the back of the engine. I snapped one of my extension bars doing up the head bolts, so make sure you have a decent extension bar. You need to take the head off with the manifilds still attached as you can't get to all the bolts, this is heavy and needs two people to lift off and replace.

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2 View Post
        My head went on my 3.0lt. It took me a week to do the job, but that was stripping the head off and waiting for the new one from Stevo and cleaning the engine up, which is where the time goes. AS mentioned clean out the intake manifold as this is pretty grubby.

I bought the head from Stevo, but bought all the head bolts and gaskets from Toyota. The head gasket comes in three sizes, so I ordered the same size that was fitted by Toyota originally and kept the one from Stevo as a spare. The head bolts are about £10 EACH from Toyota but worth the price for piece of mind.

The vacume pipes are a nightmare and it took me a lot of time to get one of them back on as you can't get your hands in at the back of the engine. I snapped one of my extension bars doing up the head bolts, so make sure you have a decent extension bar. You need to take the head off with the manifilds still attached as you can't get to all the bolts, this is heavy and needs two people to lift off and replace.

Gonna give Stevo a call in the week, but will probably get everything from him. Will do the job over a few days as I'm not in a hurry and it will give the missus time to get in some training to help me lift the head off

Cheers, Nick
        "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2 View Post
          You can get the manifolds off separate.

Remove all the shields round the manifold an turbo, undo the 3 bolts between the manifold and turbo inlet, you can then remove the manifolds bolts I used a 3/8 socket with wobble extension.

I ended up removing the studs as well then slid the manifold stright up.

I would def clean out the inlet manifold. I also removed the EGR valve and pipework and blanked off the holes.

I think it took about 10 hours to do, I found the hardest bit to be tightening the had bolts, I ended up using a 3 foot cracking bar from Halfords.

The bores on my motor were prestine, but I would echo what everybody else has suggested, change the thermostat etc whist the motor is in bits.

Actually I didnt find it too hard a job
          Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

When I took mine off the bores still had all the honeing marks down them. I regulary use diesel injector cleaner so this must help keep them clean.

It's not a hard job, just fiddely. It's definitely a lot more time consuming than a LR head.

Comment

Working...
            X