oops great big bang !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oops great big bang !

hi, i was driving the surf yesterday and without using my brain i deceided try the 4wd out while driving at 30mph , when i put it in there was a very loud bang and the rear wheels seemed to lock up so pulled over presses the button to go back into 2wd but it wouldnt so after 10 mins of messing about with lo and high range lever and the auto lever it went back to normal .
    i knew that when switching between 2wd and 4wd that you are meant to be either stationary or going very slow but wasnt thinking as it was along time ago i had my last surf and have had over 50 cars in the last 7 year !
    so what happened and what have i broke ? ha

How did you switch to 4wd?
    You can use the electronic switch without problems up to 60mph (if I remember correctly, I'm at work and the surfs at home).

If however you tried useing the transfer lever, you could have broken something in your transfer box (I hasten to add I'm guessing here).
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

hi, i just pressed the 4wd button but i dont think you are supposed to do it over around 15mph.

Comment

Nah, it's 60mph. It won't go in either, just dings a bell thing. Maybe your diffs have different ratios. Or the transfer box is gubbed.

50 cars in 7 years? that's a different car every 7 weeks. Are you very rich?
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

nope not really rich, sometimes i did have 3 cars at any time but mainly just love cars and deceided to try lots, plus i get bored easily !
          something must be broken then as there was a huge bang and the rear wheels seemed to lock up !

Comment

Does it drive ok now?!

I'd be inclinded to say its transfer box or front diff related if it drives ok.

To check the front diff for damage, Simply drain some oil from the diff housing on the axle and look in the oil for any metal bits. If there are any.. then its done for an you'll need a new diff.

As for the transfer case.. no idea how to check that!

Comment

yeah it drives fine now in 2wd, i havent had the guts to try it back in 4wd yet incase it start ripping transfer boxes and drive shafts apart !

Comment

if by pressing the 4wd button then that shouldn't have anything to do with the rear wheels locking should it as the 4wd will only engage the front wheels into drive.But if the front diff is knackered then yes that will probably cause the rears to lock a bit.I remember at the rtts last year Wolf's front diff went off with a real big bang but i cant remember if the rear wheels locked or no.
                It might pay to just try the 4wd while crawling along and that way you can stop quick if it don't sound right.I have got front diffs here for 2.4's and 3.0l's if needed
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

hi, how much for a front diff for a 2.4 inc delivery ? i am going to try 4wd again now and see what happens ! fingers crossed !

Comment

£100 delivered and i will be getting the diff out the 2.4 this week sometime

Comment

well just tried 4wd again, this time the 4wd indicator light on the dash did not illuminate and there was no bang but the rear wheels did lock up again and were screeching down the road !

Comment

just wondering if it could be the trans box like already mentioned.I got a transbox and gearbox still on the truck aswell.I don't split them i sell as a complete unit as i can't be bother splitting them.For the gearbox/trans box delivered on a pallet will be £220

Comment

i will try and find out what is broken before i order anything, will probably have to take it to a garage.

Comment

there's a couple of memebers up your way.You could always put a thread up in general asking for someone to have a look at it for you or offer on the spot advice on whats wrong rather than pay a garage

Comment

yeah thanks stormforce i will try that even though i feel a bit cheeky !
                              could it be transmission wind up ? it feels like it when driven in 4wd.
                              i have to reverse to get it back into 2wd.
                              Last edited by newbie2; 4 November 2009, 10:12.

Comment

Working...
                              X